Sunday, June 22, 2014

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

There has been an renewed interest in the First World War as we are hitting the centenial of that conflict. The conditions that predated that conflict seem to be recurring again. Instead of the French and the Germans we have the USA and China. With Russia and India thrown in to boot.

There has been a revival almost nostalgia for the event that triggered the war. Cavrilo Princep murdered the Archduke and it all went down hill from there.

I am currently reading an book about alternative outcomes of the First World War called "In Other Trenches." It is very interesting.

The similarities to today's political scene are scary.

5 comments:

blake said...

I wrote, but never published, a blog post years ago called "Waiting for Princip".

I'm not the only one, either.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

I just watched a DVD about an almost-100 year old conflict in Mexico called "The Cristado War". It lasted from 1926-1929 and was brought about when President Calle started enforcing anti-clerical portions of the Mexican Constitution. I'm sad to say I never knew the history, but the movie, "For Greater Glory" starring Andy Garcia, was quite good.

The bonus features were also worth watching.

Would a government ever go to war with the Catholic Church? Naw! Couldn't happen!

blake said...

I reviewed For Greater Glory when it came out. I had forgotten Oscar Isaac was in it. (Didn't know who he was back then.)

A good example of the critic/audience split centered around religion.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Blake,
I'm reminded that you are one of my trusted movie reviewers. You and Michael Medved. I rarely disagree with either of you. Thanks for the link.

blake said...

Back atcha, Ruthie-baby! (Or is only Dennis Miller allowed to call you that?)