Sunday, March 13, 2011

I will settle your hash buddy!


Man I love me some corned beef hash for breakfast. With an egg on top. With black coffee and some rye toast. That's eating. Here's a quick and dirty recipe:

6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 (12 ounce) can corned beef, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup beef broth

1.In a large deep skillet, over medium heat, combine the potatoes, corned beef, onion, and beef broth. Cover and simmer until potatoes are of mashing consistency, and the liquid is almost gone. Mix well, and serve.

2.Poach and egg until it is the consistency of a Wisconsin union guys brain and gently transfer it from the pan and settle it on top of the hash.

3.Brew up some strong black coffee and toast a couple of pieces of rye bread and then you have a party.

5 comments:

Ron said...

canned corned beef? I go to my deli and get and shred some of the real thing! sometimes I put peppers in...sometimes not! I like lots of black pepper too...

Trooper York said...

I know but I love greasy canned stuff. The more dented the can the better. Just sayn'

dbp said...

Trooper, your way is much less effort than mine.

I dice the potatoes and brown them in a covered pan, then once they are brown--but not yet cooked through, I add the onion. Once the onion is browned the potatoes are fully cooked and I add the corned beef, canned too. Sometimes there will be hot (or just bell) peppers too.

The only other difference is that I take my coffee with milk.

deborah said...

What a bunch of connoisseurs...I get my hash straight from the can.

But the rye toast idea...genius! (But I'll have milk.)

reader_iam said...

Favorite breakfast, except I like half-n-half in my (excessively strong) coffee.