Friday, March 11, 2011

Saturday Morning comes quick!


I usually open the store by myself on Saturday morning to give the wife a chance to catch a few hours more sleep. Most of our customers come later in the day and since she has to be on her feet all day the extra rest helps a lot.

But sometimes tourists are there when I open up. Last Saturday two girls were across the street when I walked up looking at piece of paper which must have been what they printed out from Google or something. I open and they walk in.

Now I have to find a way to connect with them because they might be uncomfortable working with a guy in a ladies dress shop. So I find a way to let them know I am a harmless knucklehead so they are more comfortable. I ask them where they are from and they tell me they are from Seattle. So I break into the theme song from "Here Comes the Brides."

"The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle
And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle
Like a beautiful child, growing up, free an' wild
Full of hopes an' full of fears, full of laughter, full of tears
Full of dreams to last the years, in Seattle . . . in Seattle"

They had no fuckin idea what I was talkin' about.

I am an old bastard.

7 comments:

Ron said...

Man, you redlined your Geezer Meter!

ricpic said...

I once spent a miserable month in Seattle and believe me the skies ain't blue.

blake said...

Never heard of it.

MamaM said...

They had no fuckin idea what I was talkin' about.

I am an old bastard.


"Absolutely..." says the old geezer Mr M, a freshman in high school when this show came out. "He's lucky I knew what he was talking about."

Watching the Youtube brought back the memories...all those earnest, energetic and robust young men in plaid shirts. The MamaM was still young and naive enough to believe these high spirited bumblers were looking for romance. Who knew? Meanwhile her heart was being stolen by the brooding bad boy, Johnny Madrid Lancer.

To this day MamaM has a lingering fondness for plaid shirts and bad boys.

But here's the big question. Did they buy anything?

reader_iam said...

I do believe watching those guys from age 7 to 10 helped shaped my early-adolescence idea of cute boys. With mixed results.

Trooper York said...

The sad fact MamaM is that they did not.

The wife went batshit when she heard because she is always afraid that people who want to open a store are "shopping" us to find out what to order. But now that 90%of our goods are private label they have nothing to do and nowhere to go.

What are you gonna do?

MamaM said...

Retail...where the best stuff is often ignored by the indiscriminate, who will at other times buy almost anything.