Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tales of Amy's Garden


Fiver: There's something very queer about the warren this evening?
Hazel: Is it dangerous?
Fiver: No but this time it feels different. Sort of…..like a storm is brewing.
Bigwig: I know. It is coming from that garden across the way where we had the old warren.
Hazel: How do you know that? It is something you heard on patrol?
Bigwig: No. Everyone knows about it. Everyone is talking about it.
Hazel: I must be out of the loop. What is the problem?
Bigwig: Well Strawberry and I were on patrol at the old warren and it seems that someone is threatening the lady from the garden and her friend the farmer who stays with her. Someone is writing nasty notes to her and saying he is going to do bad things.
Fiver: But I thought everyone didn’t like the lady in the garden. I mean look at how everyone had left the garden. She doesn’t get along with others all that well. She is always starting fights with everyone. Even the farmer is always pushing her from behind when they take all their clothes off. And he is always making the lady call for God or Jesus or something.
Bigwig: I know it is very strange. And he is always yelling weird stuff too. Why is he always saying he is going to come when he is already there? I don’t understand.
Hazel: So who is this person who is after them? Is it the self adsorbed crow?
The grumpy badger? The noisy blue jay? Or even the ghost?
Bigwig: No it isn’t any of the usual people. It is some new person. I heard he live in a cardboard box in an attic.
Hazel: Oh so he is a cat?
Bigwig: I don’t know but the lady keeps calling him a pussy so I guess it must be so. I do know that they have been more careful about locking up. I think the farmer even put handcuffs on the doors.
Fiver: Thank Eliearah we don’t live there anymore. I wouldn’t want to be in the middle of that? All that fighting and arguing. It doesn’t seem like much fun.
Bigwig: Well some animals like that I suppose. In fact the black crow is always over there kawing at everyone. He keeps inviting everyone back to his nest but no one seems to want to go.
Fiver: Why not?
Bigwig: He says we just don’t understand. It’s a crow thing.
Hazel: Well I am glad we don’t have those problems over here in our new garden. Everybody gets along here. Even the old house cat that just sits in the sun peeing on himself. He is a lot tamer here than he was in the old warren.
Fiver: That’s true Hazel. I like our little garden. Everyone seems to get along……wait a minute….did you just pee yourself again? You have to stop drinking all day. It’s just not good for you.
(Watership Down, 1972)

8 comments:

chickelit said...

I don't get it. These posts used to to be so controversial, provoking and stirring your readers.
Is everybody now of one mind or something?

TTBurnett said...

The public is fickle.

TTBurnett said...

Actually, that should be, "The public ARE fickle."

MamaM said...

When the group is being considered as a whole, it can be treated as a single entity: “the group was ready to go on stage.” But when the individuality of its members is being emphasized, “group” is plural: “the group were in disagreement about where to go for dinner.”

Guess it all depends on whether or not everybody is of one mind or something

Trooper York said...

I think what has happened is that more people have come to see it the way I do. The ones who disagreed have left and don't post here anymore.

Trooper York said...

Plus Meade has a sense of humor.

The blogger lady must have caught it from him, so to speak.

chickelit said...

Thanks for the clues!

TTBurnett said...

Here's how to make a bunny rabbit from a cloud of fog.

Another thing you suspected about the warren but never had proof.