Friday, January 16, 2015

Like butter......

So we were kind of depressed on our ride back to New York from Florida. After all the weather was great in Florida and we left the kids and we were going back to work and the cold. We needed something to help make the trip fun. So we decided to stop in Savannah.

To visit Paula Dean.

You see Glen's parents are big time friends of Paula Dean. His father once ordered 2,000 sandwiches from her when he was in the service and it sort of gave her a bunch of publicity and helped launch her business. Therefore we thought it would be fun to visit her restaurant.

It's a four story joint called "The Lady and Sons" restaurant. It was very well organized. You gave your name and waited about half an hour in her adjacent store to buy various do dads and take a picture with Paula. We killed some time and picked up a couple of souvenirs.

Of course she is not the way the main stream media portrays her. She has no problems with black people. Well brown people. She even let Omar grab her ass.

The menu is very limited. Lots of butter. Lots of fat. We decided on the buffet which was what most of the people seemed to order. The kid serving us was very nice and kept us filled with sweet tea and stuff.

The first thing we got was Fried Green Tomatoes. It was very authentic. It was served by a lesbian food runner.

It sort of gave me a clue to be easy on what I ordered. I mean we were in the middle of a twenty two hour drive and I didn't want to get the runs. So I decided to go slow on the buffet.

On the other hand Omar went nuts. He did the fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. With several helpings.

I just did the pulled pork, mashed potatoes, salad and baked beans. So I was ok. Well until we got to Virgina and we had to pull over to drop a Yule Log. But that's another story.

Lisa and Omar had indigestion immediately and I had to go into a hipster coffee shop and bully the barista to sell me two full cups of almond milk to settle their stomachs. That works great by the way for an upset stomach. Much, much better than regular milk.

I don't know how youse guys down south do it if you eat this stuff all the time. I mean every single person in the joint filled up with two and three plates of stuff. Don't get me wrong. I am not a big fan of fried chicken. That's for moolies. If it was sausage and peppers or pasta I would have been right in there eating like a pig. But this stuff is not for me. I tried it. I can mark that off my list I guess.

Along with taking a dump in Virgina.


11 comments:

Aridog said...

Looks like a placard of Paula DEan ...or is she really that sparkly and stationary?

Trooper York said...

She is kind of stiff

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Paula Dean was a liberal Democrat who the media gladly threw under the bus and then ran over her several times more because she used a racial term years before…

Quentin Tarantino, you better keep your eyes open.

ndspinelli said...

Who is Glen?

Aridog said...

I think Omar is better looking...just saying. :)

rcocean said...

The deep south leads the country in Obesity - I'm not surprised. I've ordered breakfast pancakes in Alabama and I got pancakes + Syrup + fruit + a mountain of whipped cream!

And I left a half a big pile of bacon on the side untouched.

OTOH, Fried chicken, if done well, is great. Could eat it all day.

chickelit said...

How do locals eat in India without dying?

Different flora; different fauna.

Trooper York said...

Glenn is my son-in law

chickelit said...

Glenn is my son-in law

Holy Cow! That really does make you The Blogfather!

rcocean said...

So, obviously the diet is over.

Trooper York said...

I cheat but I didn't eat a lot. Lisa and Omar went crazy. I just ate some pulled pork and mashed potatoes and salad. I still got sick but not as bad as them. Just sayn'