Saturday, March 31, 2012

There is a reason they are called the greatest generation.

Michael Haz said...


I spent part of the day with the old man. He has cancer now, abdominal mesothelioma. Not curable and the treatments available are mostly as bad as the disease. He's chosen to skip the treatments and let the cancer run its course.

He's lost 15 pounds in the last month. He was strong and muscular six months ago; the muscles seem to be melting off of him now.

We've had the long talks about his will and plans for funeral and burial. He's filled out the DNR form with his MD and hospital, gave me a copy, and posted one on his refrigerator door. Next week we'll sign him up for one of those emergency call button services, and he wants to pick out a walker because he's a bit unsteady on his feet now.

He hasn't uttered one word of complaint. Hell, he spent two damn years on Guadalcanal and never complained about that or anything else in his life. All he said about being in the South Pacific was that he learned to like papaya and guava and still likes to eat them.

When we discussed whether or not he'd have treatment he said that he believes the when we are born each one of us is given a number of days to live. Some are given more days, some fewer, but our days our numbered and his time is up. He'd rather live out the few days he has left in the way he chooses, not what some well-meaning physicians might suggest.

We've invited him to move in with us. Maybe he will, maybe not. it's his choice. I do know this: I won't outsource his care to strangers during the last months of his life.

I'm a fatalist by nature. Maybe that's because I'm RC to the bone. Maybe because that's how I was raised or maybe because I'm a realist.

When you scrape away all the other stuff we fret over, the only purpose of this life is to get to the next life, and to do some good stuff along the way while we're on earth.

What kind of cars we drive, how many "followers" we have, which social circles we are admitted into are all meaningless in the end. What matters is leaving our loved ones with good memories of us, for as long they are alive.

"Why should I have a big funeral?" he asked me. "All my friends are already dead. I want a small service, then take everyone out for lunch. All I am is what you remember. I'll be gone, and I'll see you on the other side."

Here's hoping we'll all see each other on the other side someday.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I plan on being in seventh heaven, meet up with youse on level four. Party!!

Anonymous said...

Michael, your dad has my thoughts and prayers, as I said, if you need to talk, ask Troop or Darcy for my email.

rcommal said...

Michael: I remember where you were when my mom was sick and when she died. Back atcha, if ever you need it. XXOO.

AllenS said...

Michael, when my girl friend was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiform cancer, I eventually took her out of the hospital and cared for her on my own. She lived about 2 months, but the hospital put a pic (sp?) line in her arm so I was able to give her injections of a drug called mannitol after she had her radiation treatments. Her health actually improved once I removed her from the hospital and we were walking about a mile and a half every morning, but the grade 4 cancer was too much to overcome. God bless you for wanting to provide assistance to your father. Most people wouldn't even try.

ndspinelli said...

Michael, My prayers are that neither he or his loved ones suffer very long. Men of our father's generation are tough. With that in mind, consider being his advocate for pain meds. Terminal patients deserve as much pain meds needed and some times you have to battle for that. God bless you.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Michael, prayers for you and your family.

My aunt was stricken with lung cancer and after trying to 'fight' it through the traditional channels, she chose the path your father is taking. Went home to spend the rest of her allotted time with husband and family in peace and in her familiar surroundings.

Please look into hospice care. Those wonderful men and women who were volunteers were a support, strength and comfort to EVERYONE. Not just my aunt who was dying, but also the rest of us who were in a different type of pain.

windbag said...

DBQ speaks truth.

Anonymous said...

Hospice nurses are one of a kind also,I did this for about a year, that's all I could take, that and Peds, very difficult.I always thought the dying process was like giving birth, a process a journey,the body is in control, we are just along for the ride.

blake said...

Thanks, as always, Mr. Haz.

chickelit said...

My dad had hospice care and died at home. Hospital deaths aren't the way to go any more.

Thanks, Haz.

chickelit said...

Oh, and people need to get over that "somebody died in that house" stuff at sales times.

BJM said...

Sorry to hear about your father Haz.

We buried the spouse's mother on Wed, a week short of her 90th BDay. It's been a tough couple of weeks which is why I've not been around much.

We had in-home hospice care for her and for my mom in 2001. Fortunately lung cancer took my mom very quickly, the MIL suffered several strokes and was increasingly disabled for three years. The hospice nurses are indeed special people.

The passing of the Greatest Generation, a label they hated, leaves a void. They created the world as we Boomers knew it for decades.

Gonna stop now.

Michael Haz said...

Allie, rcommal, AllenS, ndspinelli, DBQ, windbag, blake, chickenlittle, and BJM - My deepest thanks to each of you for your thoughtful, helpful and compassionate comments.

Thank you especially for sharing your experiences with hospice care nurses and programs. We are now looking into hospice providers for Dad.

And Trooper - you are kind and generous in allowing me to post my stuff here, especially when it disrupts the usually happy banter on your blog.

I've met only one of the commenters on TY's blog in real life. Yet is teems like out group has evolved into a gathering of good friends. How amazing is that?

MamaM said...

Most people wouldn't even try.

It's not easy to encounter suffering or adversity of any kind and stay present. To do so is a gift.

"Participation is a profound stance. It is not mere observation, looking from the outside in, imagining and interpreting. It is a "being-with", a knowing, an empathic experiencing from the inside out. It is a dialogue. Because participation creates depth and connection, it fosters humility and acceptance and understanding."
from The Grace in Dying K. Singh

May grace, truth and peace be with you and your father, Michael Haz.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Michael, despite the occasional butting of heads and the egos they contain, friendship trumps it.

Isn't that and the love of family what makes the world go round?

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Isn't that and the love of family what makes the world go round?

Absolutely, nothing more important than family and friends.

Except when you take the last scoop of strawberry ice cream and leave the carton in the freezer with just one tablespoon left....THEN it's on!!!

Darcy said...

What a loving, supportive group!

And AllenS. Wow. What a wonderfully loving thing you did for your girlfriend.

I mean, the thing is, I know that all of you that have done things like this think nothing of it. It's not something you want acknowledgment for. But I think it's huge. And I don't think it is common, judging by all the people I see in the hospital.

God bless you.

Trooper York said...

The thing about us guys it that we recognize that liberal or conservative, gay or straight, New Yorker or Cheesehead......we are all have a common humanity that we can recognize in each other. That is why such a diverse group can gather together and bust balls and argue and still turn back to the bar and hoist a few.

It's how we do.

Trooper York said...

I didn't add anything to your post Michael as there is nothing you can say. Other than I will remember you and your Dad in your family in my prayers.

windbag said...

Now is the time for tears
Don't speak...save your words
There's nothing you can say
To take this pain away
Don't try so hard
You can just simply be
Cry with me
Don't try to fix me, friend
That's how you'll comfort me.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Thank your father for his service at Guadalcanal. I hope I can live my life with just a fraction of the grace he is showing.

Roger J. said...

Beautiful comments, all--heros are the men and women that do their jobs in bad circumstances. My prayers and thoughts are with them

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Michael,
You know there are lots of prayers and love coming from NC for you and all the Hazzes.

You met 2 IRL...Darcy and me. Unless that wasn't really you.

I have high praise for Hospice, too, but only from a tertiary position.

Michael Haz said...

Ruth Anne - D'oh! I am so embarrassed to have not mentioned our meet-ups! Oy! They were great fun!

And thanks for the prayers!

Darcy said...

That meetup was great fun! I hope I'm invited to the next Wisconsin meetup.

Have somewhat trusty car. Will travel. ;-)