Sunday, June 20, 2010

Snaps shots from Father's Day!


My Daddio was a big Mets fan. He was a Dodger fan when the Bums skipped town just about the time I arrived. So he grew up a National league fan and transferred his allegiance to those lovable losers the New York Metropolitans.

When you are a kid you love your Dad but you have to establish your own identity. So often times you argue with him about sports and tell him his team stinks. That's how I became a Yankee fan. Now he didn't care and took me to Yankee stadium to see the 1961 team with Mickey and Whitey and Yogi and Moose and all the rest. I went to a game where Johnny Blanchard hit two home runs. It was one of my favorite memories of childhood.

But he stuck with his Mets. Then the Yankees started to stink and he would razz me especially in 1969 when the Miracle Mets started their run. He loved to get a six pack of Reingold and a veal cutlet sandwich and some fries and sit back and watch the game. Now we lived in an apartment and my Mom really didn't like to entertain all that much except for family. But every once in a while they would have someone over. One night we had some people over who lived across the street. My friend Nicky was the same age as me and his sister was the exact same age as his sister so our Moms would always walk to school together and stuff. So their family came over one night for dinner. And as we used to do in the 1960's the women went into the kitchen and the guys gathered around the TV console which was a huge wooden box. There was a little back and forth but my Dad said "Cut the crap we are watching the Mets." So we put the game on and they were playing the Cubs and Seaver is pitching. And pitching well. Pitching a no hitter in fact. Until the ninth inning when Jimmy Quals broke it up. Saved at the last minute. I didn't want to have to hear about how great the Met's were all summer. Of course I had to listen to it when they won the series.

Every year on Father's Day I honor my Daddio by watching the Mets and rooting for them one day a year. I get a sixpack of Reingold and take his place. But I can't do that today because they are playing the Yankees. Santana vs Sabathia. So I will have to do it on his birthday. I know he would understand.

I love you Daddio. Happy Fathers Day in Heaven.

9 comments:

ricpic said...

Tom Seaver taught me something. You wanna know what that something is? You can dislike someone and still acknowledge his excellence. Never liked Seaver. Something totally corporate about him. But at the same time he was a great, not a good, a great pitcher. Most likely a first round Hall of Famer. So that's today's lesson. Never dismiss some guy's ability because you don't cotton to him.

As to my father? He was OK. ;^)

ricpic said...

Oops, I just googled and Seaver's been in the Hall since '92. Oy vey.

nino said...

I remember my dad always working...but he always had time to help with me with homework or a go cart my friends were always building...I'm down here in Florida now retired and wish my dad was here to see that I turned out ok...

Trooper York said...

I think he knows nino.

Ron said...

I've been tryin' to write something for you about my granddad...but I've just been getting too charged up about it to finish. Sorry man.

Trooper York said...

Don't sweat it Ron.

Have a Happy Fathers Day cuz.

Ritmo Re-Animated said...

Happy Father's Day. Touching tribute to your dad, there.

(I guess I'm assuming that you're a dad in the traditional sense, BTW. If not, just consider yourself the father of all web sites for the more sociable Althousians).

If you happen to outlive me, just make sure to watch the world cup once a year in order to root for Brasil!

I caught 'em stomping over the Ivory Coast at 46th today in what appears to have become a little Brazil town over there. I was so close, yet so far away from Brooklyn. I wondered what Trooper was up to. Next time I'll stop by.

Man, there are some fine women in the Big Apple. Probably even crazier than they are than in Philly (although perhaps in a good way). But boy, is the ugly here getting me down these days.

Another reason that I'll have to stop by more often... ;-)

Ritmo Re-Animated said...

I knew I was in NYC when the first t-shirt shop vendor on my way out of Penn Station tried to sell me something with "Fuck you, You fucking fuck!" emblazoned on the front. I immediately felt that I was back in town. Ahhh, good old New York! How sweet it is.

blake said...

Still have my dad, for a few more years at least, I hope.

He chauffeurs my kids around all week and I know they're what keep him going. I'm grateful to him for then and now.