Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Last Hand







We were sitting in the  office having a cup of coffee that Cap had just brewed. It  was a quiet night in Mora. I was thinking about getting ready to ride out to the ranch when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," I said as Cap and Tell positioned themselves to bracket the door. You never who would be coming in and you want to ready if they come in guns a blazing.

A long rawboned  drover covered in dust walked in. He looked at us and saw how Cap and Tell had moved to bracket the entrance and realized he was covered three ways from Sunday. But I don't think he was looking for trouble.

"Marshall Sackett, my name is Sherman McMasters and I am here with a posse. Marshal Earp is in the Lucky Lady and he asks if he might palaver with you for a spell."

"Marshal Earp. Would that be Wyatt  Earp?"

"Yessir. He is on the trail of some miscreants out of Tombstone in Arizona Territory. The Clantons, Curly Bill and such. Has warrants on all of them.”

"Don't say" piped up my brother William Tell from the corner where he was rolling a smoke with that Vigginy tobacco he favored. " I knew Curly Bill. Rode with him. He was a hell raiser but no more than most. What kind of warrant does Earp have on him?"

"Murder. For the murder of Morgan Earp."

"So it's personal" I said as I stood up from behind the desk. "I don't reckon I want personal grudges to be settled on my streets. That's not how it works. Your friend Earp is riding high by summoning me like the clerk in the haberdashery. But I always heard his was a high hatted son of a bitch."

"Don't get riled now Tyrel" cautioned Cap who is always the voice of reason. "Earp wrangled a badge so he must have some politicians behind him.  You need to be calm."

"No worries Cap. I am as calm as can be. Lets go down and talk to him. I want to get on home to Drusilla."

No comments: