Sunday, June 5, 2011

Poems of Trooper's Garden



In Brooklyn
You walk down the hot street
And when you get to the end of the hot street
There's another hot street to walk down.
Little do you know that hidden out of sight
Are backyards: hundreds and hundreds of
Hidden sunken sanctuaries of shade
Where hundreds of bare arms are
Raising the beautiful glass of guinea red aloft
And dreamily looking through the ruby globe
At the sun receiving walls of stucco and brick
and clapboard
That rise above their blissfully sunken havens
of shade
And knowing at that moment that
All Is Good.

ricpic, 2011

9 comments:

ricpic said...

Frickin' genius I tellya.

Trooper York said...

Damn straight.

chickelit said...

Gorgeous poem ricpic.

I'm not an expert, but I think the Romans developed the distinct style of surrounding their urban properties with high brick or stucco walls, leaving just enough room between the street for a sidewalk. Behind the walls are lush private gardens. You can see this style at Pompeii, but you have to imagine the lush greenery.

chickelit said...

The Greeks probably did it first, and before them the Egyptians. And before them the Babylonians, etc.

Opus One Media said...

did you steal that sam adams umbrella you miserable goat?

when i am going to be invited in to visit you...drink all your beer..run away with your silver?

Trooper York said...

I got the umbrella from the Sam Adams company because I got the beer into a bunch of my clients that had bars back in the day.

I will be in the Hamptons in July and we have to meet for a few cocktails hd.

chickelit said...

Is your shed made metal or wood?

I've been thinking of building one from plans.

Trooper York said...

Metal but it was already there when we moved in.

Penny said...

Love the beat, ricpic.

It's how I hear my music too.

Thanks, you.