Sunday, June 5, 2011

Remembrance of things Pabst


So if you watched the Pizza Tour video you saw Louie from Sam’s Restaurant throwing a pie on the table. It was pretty funny that I was going on a historic tour and they brought us to my house.

Now I had not been in Sam’s for about twenty five years because of an old and obscure beef that we had. Actually it wasn’t my beef it was my buddy Vito but I got out of the habit of going there. But we had a lot of history with the joint. My Mom had her bridal shower there in 1956 and my dad used to go there once a week when he came home from night school. He would always get a veal cutlet parm sandwich and the big cottage fries that they make and it was a big treat when he let me get up and have some fries while he watched the end of the game on WOR TV.

When I walked off the bus into the place Louie goes “You lived here fifty fucking years and you had to take a bus to come?” What could I say? You see this is an old school Carroll Gardens kind of place. Cash only. No bullshit. If they don’t like you they tell you to fuck off. Now Louie and I grew up together on Tompkins Place since we were in diapers. He sorta talks exactly like me with the same bad attitude. You see we are not interested in bullshit. We just laughed and I promised him I would come back soon.

So this past Friday we went with two other couples who are friends of ours. I went before hand to make sure we got a table because they don’t open that back room where they had the pizza tour because they don’t have too if they don’t want to. I immediately ordered a pizza as an appetizer and some wine and Pellegrino for the table. That’s how we usually do it when we go out because everyone trusts me to order because they know I will get the right stuff to start the meal off right.

Some people got the chicken parm or the veal parm or gnocchi and they all loved the fries. As we were sitting there we enjoyed the comedy. They would seat the neighborhood people but when the hipster assholes came in they told them there was an hour wait. At the end of the night a couple of hippie dippie types got a table. Then the high jinks began. They order a ricotta pie which by its very nature is pretty soupy. They ate half of it and then they wanted to cook it some more. You can’t do that in a brick oven, it ain’t like the oven in your local pizza shop where they heat up slices. So Louie is arguing with them and cursing them out in Italian which me, my cousin the elf, a couple of other neighborhood people understood so we were all laughing our ass off. It was like a couple of those protestors from Madison walked into Al Capone’s social club. It was pretty fucking funny!

Anywho a good time was had by all and they didn’t complain too much about drinking the Santa Cristina in Flintstones Jelly glasses. Everybody loves to be in with the in crowd. Louie and I reconnected and patched up our differences and we have a new joint to hit in the rotation.

12 comments:

Trooper York said...

Last night I was watching the "Devil's Rejects" on cable.

Then I saw this photo and realized.

I have the Devil's eyebrows.

chickelit said...

Could be worse. You could be compared to Stalin or to Al Gore: link

chickelit said...

I gave up on pizza out here a long time ago. It's sad but true. My wife can make a better pizza than we can get most places.

Mexican food's a whole different story.

Trooper York said...

I make a great pizza but some of the joints are worth the trip.

Lombardo's for instance was the first pizza shop ever in the entire world so it is cool for historical purposes.

Opus One Media said...

That woman looks like such a sweet soul....how in the world....I mean when she picked up that hand of cards...omg.

deborah said...

Sweet pic. Strange you didn't notice the devil's eyebrows in the photo taken at that event you were at with Stacy...devilish and devil-may-care :)

blake said...

Rob Zombie fan?

windbag said...

Veal....mmmmm....baby cow is tasty.

Titus said...

Your wife has a fabulous smile and looks like she would be a lot of fun.

She likes her blackberry, huh?

Even on the take off pizza tour.

Penny said...

"It was pretty funny that I was going on a historic tour and they brought us to my house."

Actually, they brought you and your lovely wife, to the house you share.

Not that i quibble.

I HATE quibblers.

Penny said...

"I have the Devil's eyebrows."

You have one, and I have the other!

Ha ha

Raising it as I type!

Mine makes me giggle.

How bout yours?

Penny said...

Let me guess.

Check mark? ;)