Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Whose that author?


All I saw was the dame standing there in the glare of the headlights waving her arms like a huge puppet and the curse I spit out filled the car and my own ears. I wrenched the wheel over, felt the rear end start to slide, brought it out with a splash of power and almost ran up the side of a cliff as the car fishtailed. The brakes bit in, gouging a furrow in the shoulder, then jumped to the pavement and held.
Somehow I had managed a sweeping curve around the babe. For a few seconds she had been living on stolen time because instead of getting out of the way she had tried to stay in the beam of the headlights. I sat there and let myself shake. The butt that had fallen out of my mouth had burned a hole in the leg of my pants and I flipped it out the window. The stink of burned rubber and brake lining hung in the air like smoke and I was thinking of every damn thing I ever wanted to say to a hairbrained woman so I could have it ready when I got my hands on her.

That was as far as I got. She was there in the car beside me, the door slammed shut and she said, "Thanks, mister."

8 comments:

Chip S. said...

Thisclose to a brilliant anagrammatic solution!

It's as if Fisk's HR had been foul by an inch.

MamaM said...

If you're a singer you lose your voice. A baseball player loses his arm. A writer gets more knowledge, and if he's good, the older he gets, the better he writes.”

The Dude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trooper York said...

Well the author is easy but can you quess whose that girl?

chickelit said...

She looks a bit like Stanley Dunham but with much better genes.

Chip S. said...

Isn't that the Black Dahlia?

MamaM said...

Short Stories: where he polished his prose.

He started as a writer for comic books...and soon began writing an eight-page story every day. He concocted adventures for major 1940s comic book characters, including Captain Marvel, Superman, Batman and Captain America.

Trooper York said...

That is indeed the real Black Dahlia.