Thursday, March 26, 2020

Doc Holliday Must Die.



Holiday and Hardin walked into the Doctors office. He was drunk as usual. Asleep in his chair with his feet propped up on his desk. Hardin pushed his feet off the desk and the doctor popped up ready to curse out whoever had disturbed his slumber. He saw who it was and thought better of it.

"Sorry to disturb your meditations Doc but I seem to have had an accident and I need your professional services" said Holiday. "I wonder if you might take a gander at my wing. It seems to have been clipped."

"Sure thing Mr. Holiday just sit over here on my table and I will get right to treating it." He led Holiday over to the table in the middle of the room. It cleverly had a hinge that allowed him to raise up half of the table so the patient was not totally supine. This was just what he needed to do with the gunshot wound in the arm. Holiday got up on the table and took off his jacket and shirt. He didn't have that many clothes that he could afford to have them cut off his back.

"You can call me John, Doc. It will be too confusing if we both called each other Doc. Right John Wesley?"

"True enough John I reckon that might be a bit confusing. How does it look Doc?"

"Not bad not bad at all. It went straight through and didn't hit the bone at all. You will be back practicing dentistry before you know it. If you don't mind me asking how did you get dinged John?"
"Bit of unpleasantness with some Yankees at the Drovers Cottage Doc. Nothing to write home about." "Will they be needing me over there after I fix you up?" "That depends" said Hardin. "Depends on what?" "If you are the coroner as well as the only Doctor in town." They all laughed even though it was a feeble joke. The gunslingers because it  struck them funny and the pill pusher because he was damned scared.

The doctor cleaned and flushed out the wound with alcohol. A couple of stitches on both sides of his arm took care of both the entrance and exit wounds. Doc was very luck that it was a very small caliber gun and that the wound was not extensive. All in all he had nothing much to complain about.

There was a knock on the door and Marshal Hickock came into the room.

"Howdy gentlemen. I see that you are getting patched up Doc. You all right?" "Fine Marshal the Doc set me to rights. What can I do you for?"

"Just checking in to get your side of the story. Most of the witnesses said it was a fair fight and those drovers drew first. Is that how you saw it Doc?" "Sure enough Marshal. We didn't have a choice. It was us or them." "I thought as much. Still and all I would much appreciate if you did not make a habit of this. Bad for business." "You can count on us Marshal" said Hickock. "Hardin?" "Long as they leave me alone I ain't gonna draw on anyone who doesn't draw on me first." "Fair enough. When you are done why not come and meet me in the Long Branch. Drinks on me." "I think I might rest up Marshal but maybe tomorrow." Hickock nodded to them and strolled out the door.

Holiday finished putting on his shirt and jacket and got off the table. He stumbled and had to hold on as Hardin grabbed him to steady the off kilter gunman. "You ok John?" "Fine. How much do I owe you Doc?" "One dollar should do it John." Holiday took a dollar out of his pocket and laid it on the table. "Lets go John Wesley. I am ready for a pipe."

The two gunmen left the doctors office and set off to Chink Alley. "You think this is wise Doc?  I don't seem that clean to me" "Clean enough for me." They continued down and entered the low door way of Wongs emporium. The same naked prostitute came up to them and took Holliday hand. She looked at his arm and murmured "You hurt. I fix." He let her lead him to the pallet on the floor. She pressed on his chest till he laid down. Loaded up a pipe and lit it. Handed it too him. Loosened his clothing. She reached into his pants but he grabbed her hand and pulled it back. "Just want to rest a moment honey." She looked at his sad eyes and sighed. Got on the pallet next to him and pressed her naked body against him. He blew out a smoke ring. As content as a tourtured soul could be until he found his way home to Hell.



No comments: