Sunday, March 22, 2020

Lost Girl


I was flipping through the streaming services and I came across this independent movie called "Lost Girls" which turned about to be pretty good. I am usually not much for serial killer stories but this one took a different approach.

You see it looked at the Mom of one of the victims. Mari Gilbert is the Mom of three girls one of whom was prostitute who went missing on Long Island. They live in Ellenville New York which is a real upstate shit hole. This show gives one of the best depictions of working class life I have ever seen on film. The way they are on the edge. Working three jobs just to keep things level. How young girls get exploited.

Anyhoo this movie is really well done. The star this actress Amy Ryan who was from "The Office" is really vulnerable. They film her without makeup wrinkles and all. Very impressive star turn.

I was vaguely aware of the case but didn't know the details. The kicker is in the final coda of what happened to Mari Gilbert after the events depicted in the film.

Highly recommended.

6 comments:

windbag said...

I've seen that pop up when I'm looking for something to watch. Maybe I'll give it a go. I had to look up Amy Ryan. She was in The Wire. I hated that show and have no idea why it was so popular. I watched it all, waiting for the genius to put in an appearance, but... I did like Michael K. Williams as Omar. He's a great actor. Loved him as Chalkie White, and he was in one episode of The Sopranos.

The fourth season of "Fargo" is due out next month. I hope it's better than season three, but I doubt it. It seems shows run out of steam quickly and then coast on the accolades of the first season or the fame of an actor or two. Season one was brilliant. Season two was enjoyable. Season three was just south of mediocre.

Trooper York said...

She was great in this movie.

They really show what it is like being a working man. You and I know that because we owned businesses and weren't big shots from Harvard working on Wall Street. We know a lot of people who are on the balls of their ass and struggling.

Now we are all in that boat since they shut down the economy because some chinks got the sniffles.

The Dude said...

Windbag, I have watched The Wire several times - the reason I like it is because I grew up not far from Bawmer and I can relate to the places and accents. It exposed how corrupt the police, politicians and the press are, things we all take for granted now. But I can see how it is an acquired taste - I had to used closed captioning to understand what the hell people were saying.

windbag said...

My wife suddenly wants to become a movie goer. I almost never accompany her because the big screen doesn't have three things: closed captioning, pause, and rewind. I can't hear, I have to take a leak halfway through, and I get distracted and have to back it up to figure out what just happened.

The Dude said...

I am with you on all of those key points, and in this time of social distancing I imagine any gathering of people in enclosed spaces as nothing more than an uncomfortable situation at best.

windbag said...

I watched Lost Girls. Good flick. They got the upstate NY weather dead on. I don't think there was a single scene that showed sunlight. People often mistake NYC for all of NY. There are parts of upstate that are the worst hell holes you can imagine. Think Deliverance without the hillbilly accent.

The turkeys meandered past the window awhile ago. They're not following any sort of social distancing from what I can observe, and they seem to be doing fine.