Thursday, July 15, 2010

Time for some wine!


Well it is time to look at some of the photo's from our summer vacation. I am just sitting down for dinner at the dining room and lo and behold they have my favorite wine on the menu!

I love Santa Cristina Sangiovese Toscana and it is my table wine. It retails for about $10 and they had it on the cruise for about $21. A good general rule is if the wine costs about double in the restaurant as it does in the liquor store then they are not ripping you off too badly. I buy it by the case at home and I ended up buying a case on the trip. But it was well worth it.

They let you bring one bottle of wine per person on the boat and funny enough we took Santa Cristina.

The first day they had a wine tasting that we went to in the steakhouse on board. Now we tried to get a reservation the first night we were on board but they told us they were totally booked up. For the whole freakin cruise! That wasn't going to work. Homey don't play that!

The wine tasting was very nice and was run by this nice Indonesian girl named Sally of all things. She was the ships assistant sommelier who was in charge of the wines at the steakhouse. After the wine tasting was over she went around to talk to everyone. You see they were marketing some of their more expensive wines which in reality were not all that expensive. The most expensive was about $140. Which is not the end of world if you went to a big time restaurant in New York or Vegas. So I call her over to talk.

"Sally that was a great class, I learned a lot." "Thank you." "Let me ask you a question. I would like to drink that expensive bottle of wine but they tell me they don't have any reservations available. Do you think you can do something about that? I mean you have influence. Tell them you went to school with Obama." "I will be right back."

She goes over to talk to the manager and comes right back. "No problem. You are set for prime time Saturday night at 9pm." "Super. See. And you didn't even have to pull the Obama card."

You see it is not what you know but who you know.

And you have to know how to ask the right questions.

3 comments:

ricpic said...

You're cruising in Canadian waters wearing a Hawaiian orchid shirt?

But seriesly, that's a nice photograph...or digital image...or something.

Trooper York said...

I wear Hawiaiian shirts everywhere.

It's my trademark.

Like being a knucklehead.

Christy said...

Trooper, I love that Santa Cristina! I'd always been a white wine drinker and that was the first red wine I truly enjoyed. (Except for a Nemas Kedar that disappeared from the market in the 80s. Except now I'm told it is popular in Florida. Go figure)