Saturday, September 22, 2012

I get comments.....well somettimes I get comments

MamaM said...
Looking through the archives, in search of bird song, I was surprised to come across a post a year ago on the Algonquin I hadn't seen before, even though I was reading TY at the time.

It was interesting to note that the average post a year ago garnered 5-10 comments, quite a few with no comment, and the large ones mostly under 100 with 40-80 tops. An evolving blog, a dynamic community, with some things staying the same. Betty Rubble goes way back and appears to have been publicly pleasuring herself for a long time!





It's a funny thing about blogging. You never know what is going to bring you comments. Or how many they will bring. I do notice that the more threads I post the fewer comments per posting. If I leave something up for a couple of days the comment number goes up. But if I am very prolific most of the threads get one or two comments.

Ever since the show started filming in February I have been really, really busy. Not just with the filming and the promotion but the aftermath with the increased sales which are really great. So I didn't have much time to be creative like I used to be. I couldn't do long "Laura Bush's Diary" posts or more creative stuff like Inspector Lestrade and the "Case of the Disappearing Douchebag." Plus since Spinelli is always commenting nobody would believe that the douchebag disappeared cause they would just point at him and go "There he is!"

The strange thing is the number of comments is often much less on the longer more creative posts. People read them I guess and enjoy them but they don't have much to say about them. The little ones can get more comments if the photo is weird or funny or stupid. That can trump even the most creative and funny post. So it's funny. You just throw it out there to hit the wall to see if it sticks.

I miss some of my favorite series. "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" "Tales of Amy's Garden" "The Tao of Poo" "Buddy Clinton Died for Your Sins" and of course my personal favorite "Tyler Perry's White House of Pain." Some of the other series are a lot easier because they lend themselves to a shorter post. "Marilyn's Diary" and "The Summer of Boo Boo" are like that because it can be a quick hit which is why there are so many more of them.Those are more often about the photo than the story. "Commentor Memories" is also photo driven and a lot easier to pump out.  "Laura Bush's Diary" takes a lot more thought and is a lot harder to dash off even though I often have ideas that I would love to use.  But it just doesn't get done as much.

But do you know what posts get the most hits and are the most popular?

Camel toe posts.

Go figure.

23 comments:

The Dude said...

I was going write "Pit crew?", but thought better of it and didn't.

Chip S. said...

She appears to be inflated properly.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

I particularly like your "Remembrances of things Pabst" posts. They are interesting (to me anyway) glimpses of a city life that seems to be good and full of friendly and quirky people. We all live in different places and different lives, so it is nice to get a glimpse of others lifestyles and environments that we might never see in person. Like AllenS and his cool bulldozer and tractors and Trooper's great restaurant and bar reviews.

:-)

I have nothing to say on the sports postings, because I just don't want to expose my total ignorance of anything sports related.

rcocean said...

IOW, there is little correlation between quality of the post and comment quantity or between the number of comments and THEIR quality.

Seems to be some kind of internet truth thingy.

AllenS said...

Well, thanks, DBQ. Just for you, here's a picture of the crawler. Last picture for this year, because it's time to return to the 1980 Jeep CJ7 project.

Stump removal.

MamaM said...

I find men perplexing. The crawler was in PARTS with multiple pieces yet unattached, and now it is back together and working and functional and pulling out STUMPS and not a word about how it works. Or how it better yet how it feeeeeeels to have it up and running!

Great pic though. Maybe even better than words. Seeing it restored and doing what it was intended and designed to do, looks like accomplishment and something I call "goodness". A form of wholeness, when a thing or person functions for good as designed or intended.

Chip S. said...

That's also an impressive woodpile in the background, Allen.

AllenS said...

MamaM, I thought that I posted pictures of the tracks going back on the crawler. If not, let me know and I'll post them again.

Chip, I put up that wood shed this May.

Chip S. said...

Allen, I've been told that most of the heat generated by a woodstove is generated by the splitting and stacking of the wood itself.

MamaM said...

The last pics I saw were the series where the tracks were going on, minus the seat. I didn't realize then that it was quite so ready to rumble!!!

In a world that seems increasingly off center, and "not what it seems", to me, I feel encouraged whenever the technology that forms our current culture, allows me to view the results of real, physical human perseverance. Especially when individual effort is shown to matter or make a tangible difference.

The same thing happened when I watched Big Brookline Style, as who someone is and what they do with their lives on a daily, weekly, relationship by relationship basis, was clearly revealed.

The huge woodpile, noted by ChipS and neatly stacked is another visual example of human energy spent making something needed and necessary happen.

This feeling may be another component of the "glimpse" DBQ' described. I like that word, it goes back (archaic) to A brief flash of light. followed by the more modern understanding of a glimpse being a brief, incomplete view or look

AllenS said...

Chip, with my first Social Security check, I bought a log splitter. A 35-ton model. Ass-kicker. I only hand split big stuff, usually in half so it isn't so hard to lift them unto the trailer. Then I drive close to the wood-shed, and with that trailer on one side, the splitter in the middle, then another trailer to catch the split wood.

This is the other trailer. It used to be my horse trailer, but it rusted out to such an extent that I was worried about putting an animal into it. So I made this trailer.

AllenS said...

My other trailer is an old manure spreader that I converted into a trailer. It's narrow enough to take into the woods on some trails that I made. I could tell you some interesting things about that, so if you want me to, I could take a picture of it and point out what I did.

AllenS said...

Actually, there are some good stories about the log splitter. I made some modifications on that too. A man can do a lot with a torch and a welder.

Chip S. said...

This could be the first sentence of the great American novel:

With my first Social Security check, I bought a log splitter.

Yes, Allen, more logging stories, please, at your convenience.

AllenS said...

I'll take some pictures of different stuff, and then when a future post has no comments, I'll run the pictures there.

ndspinelli said...

AllenS neglected to tell us that the first SS check of which he speaks was his dead uncles who he buried in his garden 22 years ago. He's been cashing them ever since.

The Dude said...

I have been sawing a 5 foot diameter red oak log that was taken down last Monday, right across from where I live (with no woodstove, sadly), and what can I say - hauling large pieces of soaking wet red oak is tiring.

I have been sharpening my chainsaw every day and it insists on cutting crooked. It is frustrating to spend a half hour filing only to end up with suboptimal results. I don't mind sharpening things - as a woodworker, sharpening is the first skill you need, but dang, this chain is less than a year old and I really want to use it until it is worn out. But in order for us to get along, it needs to cut better.

Anyway, the results of this labor have been very impressive - beautifully colored red oak bowls with dramatic grain anomalies. I have dried a number of them in my microwave and the rest will dry the usual way - for a year or more in my drying room. Oh yeah, money in the bank, baby!

AllenS said...

Sixty --

Your bar might be shot. Try this, loosen the chain and turn the bar over. I don't sharpen my chains, but bring them to someone who does. I have 5 chains, and every time that I replace a dull chain with a sharp one, I flip the bar over. Every single time.

AllenS said...

OK, go to the post "if you need a new computer", for updates.

MamaM said...

beautifully colored red oak bowls with dramatic grain anomalies.

To see one of those utilitarian beauties in a shop, pick it up, turn it over and find a small "60G" on the bottom would make my day!
I know, I know, knot going to happen, but a fun thought.

Chip S. said...

It won't be in the mall, but could it be in the mail?

The Dude said...

AllenS - thanks for the hints. I bought a new bar last year, but have not inverted it yet. I will do that next time I sharpen the chain.

When cleaning out my old sheds in order to move them, I found about 50 old chains, some for saws I no longer own. But for the big saw, I probably have about 10 - and I don't trust any of the sharpeners I have encountered yet.

But there is an old timer here in town who I might allow to sharpen an old chain - he is a pretty conscientious kind of guy.

I am just discouraged that after 40 years of sharpening my own chains that I can't get better results. But I am not giving up in my attempts to learn and improve my sharpening skills.

AllenS said...

Also, Sixty, take the chain off and check the part of the chain that slides in the bar. I had one this year that had burrs on it and it wouldn't slide smoothly. I filed everything down so it was smooth. A man's job is never done.