Thursday, September 27, 2012

Remembrance of things Pabst



So I know I have mentioned how the wife likes to get together with her girlfriends at least once a month. Two of them lost their husbands within a month of each other and the wife wants to be there to support them. Anyhoo some other girl from their old neighborhood organizes a get together every year and this year they all decided that the wanted to go. On a fuckin Tuesday night no less.

Now I got dragged to this as I am dragged to all of her events as I am on a short leash. It was in this joint called "Wheeler's" in Sheepshead Bay. I had never been there but it seems that they used to got there back in the day. Sheepshead Bay has really changed a lot since I was a kid. I used to go there with my uncle to go on the party boats to go fishing a couple of times a year. You would pay twenty bucks and would go out for blue fish or fluke or in colder weather codfish or mackerel. Those boats are all mostly gone now. There used to be fifty of them and you could go down there at around five in the evening and buy the fresh fish that the crew caught. But insurance and regulations and bullshit had them all go out of business. Now Sheepshead Bay is mainly Russian now and most of the old time neighborhood people are gone. Most of the people who showed up have moved to Jersey or Long Island and were only slumming back in the old neighborhood. Well actually they grew up in Midwood/Bensonhurst but you get the idea.

Now I didn't have much to do other than getting the wife and her girlfriends drinks and snacks. I do what I always do. Ordered a round....introduced myself to the bartender....and tipped him strong on the first go round. Then I started a tab and just kept feeding them drinks and mozzarella sticks and wings and zucchini sticks and fries. They only had greasy bar food.....which is just about my favorite cuisine. They were busy laughing and telling stories and having fun. I had to make my own fun. It was a real redneck bar that was playing the greatest hits of the seventies. You know Led Zep and Leonard Skynnard and shit like that there. So I had to sidle up to the fancy juke box and play James Brown and some Peter Tosh and a little Earth Wind and Fire. It is September after all. Now that went into the mix but it never played while we were there so it most likely came on about three in the morning. Nice.

I made sure I had my own tab as when you are in a situation like this you don't want to be caught holding the bag. This way I controlled what was on the tab as I got everyone's drinks.It was an early night so I called for the check and it was forty bucks. When is should have been a hundred at least. So I tipped him an additional forty and made a friend. They told us to come back soon.

Not likely.

But it was good enough for what it was. The wife wants them to come to downtown Brooklyn but I hope that doesn't happen. They would want to go to a different type place than the wife likes and I don't want up the ante where it is going to cost me more.

Let's hope they got it out of their system for another year.


17 comments:

Chip S. said...


Troopah remembers
the 26th night of Septembah.
He was makin' friends wit da bahtendah
The way that a 20 will do.

The gals were drinkin'
Cosmos an' appletinis,
noshin' on fry-eyed zucchinis,
an' da Troopah was buyin' each round.

Hey, hey, hey
ba di ya, say do you remembah,
ba di ya, girls' night in Septembah?
ba di ya, nevah hadda pay full price!

ba di ya, say do you remembah
ba di ya, girls' night in Septembah?
ba di ya, next time it's "Incognito"!

Chip S. said...

I don't think the sign fits w/ the rest of the joint.

It should be neon script, like this.

windbag said...

When we were in high school (back when the drinking age was 18 and you could), we would hit a redneck bar and put tons of quarters in the jukebox and pick the same song for every selection. Usually something like Johnny Cash or Conway Twitty. It was fun to watch the WTF looks everyone gave when suddenly a country song came on...then kept recycling.

Of course, we looked around with contempt as well, trying to spot the asswipe who polluted our ears with that shit.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Number one rule. Tip the bartender. Number two. Tip the cocktail waitress. The rest of your night will be smooth sailing.

Sounds like you had fun.

ndspinelli said...

All the party fishing boats in Provincetown have turned into whale watching boats. The Spinelli men would go out fishing on the Sea Jay and catch cod and blues[meanest fuckers in the ocean..they eat their own]. When I was in PTown last in 2008 I saw the Sea Jay going out w/ a boatload of blue hairs to see fucking whales. They're not even "good eatn'." That was a joke in our family. No matter what you caught my old man would say, "Good eatn'!! We ate eels which are really good. Taking those mofo's off the hook is a bit creepy.

ndspinelli said...

As you might imagine in Wisconsin; where there are more bars than cows, there is some great bar food.

The Dude said...

First time I had eel was when I went fishing with my ex-FiL in the Long Island sound. We kept catching them, so we decided to eat them. The FiL cooked 'em up and dang were they good. Slimy as all get out - do not handle them unless you are wearing gloves. That was nearly 40 years ago and I don't think I've been fishing since.

There is a fine line between standing around outside looking stupid and fishing. I have better ways to spend my time.

AllenS said...

What do eels taste like? Chicken?

ndspinelli said...

Allen, Much sweeter than chicken. They taste a lot like rabbit w/ about the same texture.

ndspinelli said...

Sixty, I'm w/ you. I don't need an excuse to drink some beer in the afternoon.

The Dude said...

In Japan my host took me to a restaurant that specialized in eel - I don't remember whether it was unagi or anago, but I do remember that they were delicious. And I didn't have to skin them.

AllenS said...

I'll bet that you skin an eel lengthwise. Right?

Chip S. said...

I'll bet if Sixty wanted to skin an eel he'd put it on a lathe and sand it down.

windbag said...

My daughter's cat really likes rabbit. She presented me with a kit when I got home a few nights ago. I praised her for it, but that apparently violated some pussy protocol, because when I went inside, there she was at the back door with the thing dangling out of her mouth. I praised her again, freeing her to devour it on the back porch.

I'll ask her about eels. I don't think she's ever had one.

The Dude said...

Chip S - never thought of that. Nice turn of phrase, too!

windbag said...

Joanie Cunningham is homeless. Boy, back in the day, I'd take her in.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Yikes....Little Joanie Cunninghams has really .let herself go.