Saturday, February 2, 2013

I have been reading about the movies

I have been reading biographies this week and I have been concentrating on bit players in the John Ford universe.

I read the biography or autobiography of John Agar, George O' Brien and Harry Carey Jr. They were all very interesting. I also dipped into a biography of Howard Hawks.

But I couldn't find anything for Victor McLaglen, Hank Worden, Ken Curtis or Francis Ford. What a rip-off.

Sometimes when I search Amazon I get results for book that cost about $50. That is freaking unbelievable. Jeez.

Anyway it was good reading as I read how they made movies like "Fort Apache" and "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon."

2 comments:

rcocean said...

Sounds like fun. I didn't even know Agar has a bio. I'd love to read about Ken Curtis though, hard to believe "Festus" was the tall, almost good-looking guy singing Rio Grande.

I wish guys like Ford and Hitchcock had written detailed autobiographies - but I guess they didn't care.

blake said...

A fun movie-making read, not a biography, is the one on the making of the Evil Dead movies.

Also Roger Corman's autobio "How I Made A Hundred Movies And Never Lost A Dime".