Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I can't mask it!



Because I am screwed this Valentines Day. I am going to a French themed Masquerade Ball in Lower Manhattan. It is shaping up to be a fiasco of the first water.

First of all we are scheduled for a major snowstorm on Thursday so the streets could be a mess. We are going to have to take a cab all dressed up but wearing snow shoes or something to walk into the joint. I will have to leave our bobsled at the coat check or something.

Of course we had to get the premium package. Which means we got the dinner seating. So that should be interesting. We are going with another couple that I have never met. Well I take that back. I have met the wife who is an old friend of my wife from back in the day. They reconnected through Facebook but haven't seen each other in person more than twice in ten years. The husband I have never met.

I don't worry about that. I can get along with anyone. At least for a night. The only bad thing is that I can not drink. That always helps a lot when you are in these situations. Plus when other people are drinking and you are not it is pretty tough. I don't know how the Mormons do it.

At least I will be able to Masque my boredom. If it comes to that.

12 comments:

Trooper York said...

How gay do I look?

windbag said...

You look like you feel pretty.

windbag said...

It does sound like a forgetful evening. I actually don't mind meeting someone whom I probably won't meet again. You get to tell and hear the best stories you've collected over the years.

ricpic said...

Those masks alone would blow my weekly budget. Yes, I'm tight. Don't ask me how but somehow I'm on the list that gets that snooty J. Peterman catalog which features two similar masks that are called carnival masks in the catalog. Woman's: $148. Man's: same price. Who'm I kidding. That would blow my monthly budget. No doubt about it, behind all that regular guy talk Troop is a 1 percenter!

ricpic said...

If booze is a no no maybe you can achieve that same devil may care attitude by smoking a joint on the way to the dinner party.

ndspinelli said...

You are a better man than me, dude. I'll be grilling burgers for a couple of friends from north Jersey. They were scheduled to fly out on Thursday but because of the snow moved it up to Wed. Grilling burgers, drinking beer, watching the sunset, in 75 degree weather. That should be your goal, young man.

Trooper York said...

The masks were about $20 on Amazon ricpic.

I wasn't going to spend a bunch of money on that.

windbag said...

You aren't doing an "Eyes Wide Shut" kind of thing, are you?

Trooper York said...

No.

I might even get a stay of execution as it looks like we are getting a huge snowstorm and the venue might cancel it.

But with my luck they won't and I will have to go and it will be empty. Crap.

chickelit said...

Dude you should have consulted on the costumes. When I think French masquerade balls, I think of the scene in 1925 "The Phantom Of The Opera" when Lon Chaney shows up wearing a skull mask. Chaney was wearing his Henry Waxman costume underneath. The scene is here and was one of the first color scenes issued by Universal.

Pogo probably watched this too when he was a kid.

Trooper York said...

Like I had a choice?

What planet are you on?

I wanted to wear a Ronald Reagan mask.

windbag said...

Wearing a mask depicting a President? Racist.