Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Joey Gallo's Lament


When my shows were over it was time to go home. I had to walk home down Degraw St. to Tompkins Place where we had our apartment. In those days they didn’t panic if you were a kid and you had to walk home. Once you were old enough to cross the street on your own you could go to the stores and shop for your Mom. Now my Mom would usually take the other kids to visit at her  and we would all go home together. But my sister was sick that day and they stayed home so I had to walk home by myself.
Grandma packed up a big pot of sausage and peppers to take home. She always made enough to feed an army. My Da loved her cooking. He met my Mom when they worked together in the cable Department at the Irving Trust. He was a handsome Irishman with the gift of gab and she was the cute little Italian girl who was so serious about her Job. He would always tease her “When are you going to invite me home for a home cooked Italian meal?” She played hard to get but finally she said “How about tonight?” So he came to my Grandma’s house.  Grandma cooked but my Mom was the host and served him a nice Italian dinner. They ate dinner together every night until the day my Da died.
As I passed Clinton St I started to see some of the kids from the block fucking around. They were lighting a cherry bomb in front of old man Sanzone’s house. He was one of the nasty old fucks who always chased us away when where playing stickball or fistball or even Skelly. So we loved to screw with him. Frankie Bags had set up a Cherry Bomb in his mail box. He lit it and we all ran like hell. Which sucked for me because I was toting a pot full of sausage and peppers.
Anyway when it blew it blew the front plate of the mailbox right off and it flew up and broke his window. Holey Shit! There was going to be hell to pay.
We had a prime gang of Knuckleheads on Tompkins Place. Tompkins was a great block to grow up on. It was two-way street but there wasn’t all that much traffic. Like Cheever Place and Strong Place it was an afterthought for the traffic . We could play ball all day without always having to stop to let cars go by. Sometimes it would be a whole hour before a car would turn down the block. We would play endless games of stick ball or fist ball or even Skelly with a board we would chalk out right in the middle of the street. The street didn’t even seem that dirty in those days. We would set up the Skelly board and lay down right in the street and flick our bottle caps with our fingers like we were Minnesota Fats or the Cincinnati Kid or some shit like that there. Of course just when you were about to win the pile of pennies that were the stakes some car would turn down the block and run over the game and crush the bottle caps into the tar. The rule was you had to use the same cap so you ended up losing. It was a life lesson that all kids should have. You don’t get that fondling your freaking X-box or whatever shit they do now.
I hurried home because I didn’t want to get caught up in the backlash of the latest bullshit that Frankie had come up with. I walked up to my house and I saw the landlord outside washing his Ford Country Squire Station Wagon. Man he loved that car. He would shine it and polish it and make love to it like it was a hoo-ah or something. Of all the nasty old men in the neighborhood Joe the Plumber was the worst. He  beat the living shit out of so many guys that he was a legend. Joe the plumber was a skinny little weasel but he was quick. Always seemed to have a wrench or a pipe in his hand. He wasn’t connected or anything but even the wise guys stepped lightly around him because when he went off he would kill you as easy as not. With his three hulking sons he was not somebody you fucked with.  There was Paulie and Vinnie and Little Joe.  It was like Bonanza. Only with shitheads.

We rented an apartment in the plumbers house. In those days everybody lived in an apartment. Even the people that owned the brownstone lived in one floor.  I was always walking on eggshells around the landlord. Didn’t want to get us thrown out for hitting his car with a spaldeen or something. The only reason we had an apartment was because he liked my Da. They were drinking buddies. He respected my Dad because he could actually read above a fifth grade level. And he did his taxes.
“Hey what you got there kid” asked Joe in his raspy voice “something from your Grandma.” “Yeah it’s sausages.” “Gimme here” he said. He put down his rag and came over. Took the loaf of bread I had in the bag and broke off the ass end. Split the bread and took off the cover of the pot and speared a sausage and some peppers and onions like one of those claws at John Bargin Store where you would fish out prizes for a nickel. “Thanks Kid . Your Grandma is a great cook.”
When you were the King you took what you wanted. Until somebody cut off your head. I read that in a history book.

17 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Your neighborhood descriptions are strong. My bride went to workshops and spoke w/ editors. She was going to make the city where Caroline lived generic. EVERYONE said to make it specific.

Trooper York said...

Thanks.

I revised it a little.

Yesterday the whole plot just came to me. So I have to lay the groundwork.

I think these snippets are way too short to serve as chapters in a book. This is the way that Eric Flint works. He publishes snippets of part of the chapter and then fleshes it out in the final book.

The Dude said...

Wait, there will be fleshing?

Trooper York said...

Lot's of fleshing.

But not as much as later books in the series.

If we get that far.

Trooper York said...

The ones based in the 1980's will give Matt Scudder a run for his money.

chickelit said...

Trooper York said...
Lot's of fleshing.

But not as much as later books in the series.

If we get that far.


I hope that's where Connie comes in again. So to speak.

ricpic said...

Once you've been to a steambath you've had your fill of fleshing.

chickelit said...

There's a place back there by you guys I've heard of but never been to: Fleshing Meadows.

The Dude said...

Site of the Whirled Fair.

ricpic said...

When I was 5 or 6 I was taken to a Turkish bath. All that pendulous flesh. Total trauma. I'm still in recovery.

Trooper York said...

Hey the next time you are in town we will go for a Shvitz.

We can invite Palladian.

That should cheer him up!

MamaM said...

Go for it.

As I listened to chickenlittle's chirbit on the Kolob Nut, I was laughing and mahveling in wonder at all it contained: voice, humor, timing, jest and connection to something real. Preceded by lots of other chirbits, this one shown like a star, another example of courage, creativity and persistence.

May the same sparkle be yours, TY as you continue to add meat, flesh and silicon patches as needed.

chickelit said...

I thank you kindly MamaM. I particularly value your opinion on such things. I thought even Crack might laugh at it, but...radio silence.

The Dude said...

Crack does not laugh at Crack. That would be, well, you know.

I enjoyed the chirbit, too. Lactose-free chirbit is the best. It made me look up what a Kolob is, or was, and what can I say, you nailed it with the un-Kolob.

Now keep your recording device away from water, dude.

MamaM said...

I think it got lost over there in the thread. Finding another place to put it would not be too forward or over-doing, IMO. It's good stuff.

The Kolob Konnect was stellar, but the voice and words used out shown even that. It was impossible not to laugh.

chickelit said...

For those perhaps too young to remember, this was the inspiration.* The voice was hastily done and could be (and still might be) improved, but I thought the placement was perfect.

Is there anyone here too young to remember that?

MamaM said...

I thought the placement was perfect.

It was a good thread for it, but the comments were all over the place and it appears as if "Ignore Crack" mode had been activated so it kind of disappeared under one of his links.

It took me a while to figure out Sixty's Hie.

The real Kolob stuff is strangely interesting with links to Methuselah and Abraham. Plus there's hieroglyphic content involved. As a child, I learned about the Jewish "urim and thummim" along with the 12 gemstones used in the Breastplate of the High Priest, but my Calvinist upbringing did not allow too much room for mysteries of those sorts.