Thursday, February 20, 2014

Joey Gallo's Lament


Joey Gallo squinted at me as he held his Lucky Strike in two fingers. He flicked it into the street. “Hey kid come over here for a minute” he said. Joe Jelly just kept sucking on his cig and rubbing his stomach. He rubbed himself more than most pregnant women. Of course his belly was bigger and full of jelly.
I had no choice so I went to stand over by them. The strangest things go through your mind when you're scared shitless. I could smell Mrs. Catrupie’s sauce bubbling away on the stove from the window above our heads. In those days on your way home you would smell the Sunday sauce cooking as you walked along the street. If you had an educated sniffer you even knew what they put in it. If it was Sicilian or Neapolitan or Barresi. Did she use basil or fresh oregano? Pork or just beef? The sauce you were seeking was blowing in the wind.
That wouldn’t help me. If Joey wanted to throw me a beating I had to take it. And not say shit. I couldn’t have my family go after him. They wouldn’t go to the cops. My uncles might try to get even. I know they worked with some of the Genovese guys over on Pier Seven. Or even worse me Da. Or worst of all my Grand Uncle Liam on my father’s side of the family. Jeez. That would be bad. I would just have to take my beating like a man. It wouldn’t be the first time.
“Don’t worry kid I ain’t pissed at you” Joey said. “Am I Joe” he asked Joe Jelly. “Nah the kid is alright for half a mick. It’s his fucking cousin that is a pain in the balls.” “Listen I know you were in the cops covering for that little shit Little Joe whacking his bag looking at some skank. So no sweat offa my balls. Just remember to keep your mouth shut about our thing capicé?” “Sure thing Mr. Gallo. I didn’t say anything. I just brought it to the club just like you said.” “Did you look in the bag kid” asked Joe Jelly with what he thought was a menacing look on his face. It would be almost comical if you didn’t know that this mook was a stone cold killer.  Like a constipated beardless Santa Klaus. “Of course he looked you dick” Joey laughed. “He’s a smart kid. I would expect him to look. Just not to say shit. Right kid.” “Right Mr. Gallo” I said. “Call me Joey kid. You’re allright. I hear you run that gang of kids on Tompkins Place and Degraw and Kane. I used to run a gang of kids too when I was your age. It’s good to be King eh?” “Yes sir” I said and thought better of it. “Yeah Joey you are right. But I ain’t a King. More of a Joker.” “Ha you’re a fucking ball buster. I like that” Joey said. “Listen you ever have a problem you come see me at the club. I’ll help you out. I owe you one. No go to your Grandma before those pastries get fucked up. Say hello to your Uncles for me. Or not. Whatever you think best.” “Thanks Joey” I said. I walked away down the street.
Holy Shit on a Shamrock! Fuckin’ Joey Gallo owed me one. Not that I would ever try to collect on it. I would leave it in the bank. Like a fuckin Christmas club for a Christmas that would never come. I was just glad I didn’t catch a beating

20 comments:

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I can almost taste the tomato sauce.

Methadras said...

I'm just getting back into the swing of things again. I've taken some personal time away from many things INTERNET and trying to refocus on more important issues and people in my life. Life will kick you in the sack and it may buckle your knees, but the difference is, am I going to go all fetal position or am I going to put up one leg at a time and stand up again and shake it off?

By the way, I see that crack has gone back to TOP. Am I rite? Talk about fucked up mental issues and a serious case of dependency problems. oy vey

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

That's good to hear Meth. Good attitude.

ricpic said...

Baressi I don't know about unless that's another term for Abruzzi. I wish I could remember the put downs that I overheard in the Italian neighborhood I grew up in but I don't. The only thing I vaguely remember was that the Sicilians at least had someone to look down on if he came from Abruzzi, which is like the West Virginia of Italy.

ndspinelli said...

Meth, Welcome back to the internets.

Trooper York said...

Welcome back Meth. I hope you can meet the challenges that you are facing. If you ever want to talk about it we are here for you. Just sayn'

Trooper York said...

I mean Nick talks about his sexual problems all the time.

He just announced that now he has a penis.

Trooper York said...

Those are the guineas who come from Bari.

They were a big influence in the neighborhood and they dominate it now since many of them remained when the rest of the people left.

The Dude said...

It is nine o'clock here and the temperature is 67 degrees. Sounds like tornado weather to me.

Got lots of walking done today - as with Darce's story, it's too soon to write more, suffice it to say it was a beautiful day well spent.

I hope to have more in the future, assuming the wind behaves itself.

blake said...

Nick has a penis?

Whose?

Trooper York said...

That's the question.

ndspinelli said...

I got John Holmes Johnson on Ebay.

ndspinelli said...

Some assembly required.

The Dude said...

Franken Dick. Senator from Minnesota.

ndspinelli said...

Sixty has those synapses working this morning.

windbag said...

He just announced that now he has a penis.

Now if he could just find some balls to go with it.

windbag said...

Are they going to get tied up in the Brooklyn pigeon war thing?

ndspinelli said...

windbag, You can't go to war w/ a guy who goes to masquerade balls.

windbag said...

Does Rule 34 apply to the term masquerade balls?

Methadras said...

thanks guys. i mean that. i got hurt physically a while ago and needed to recover. some revelations came to the forefront from the matrimonial side of life and that is being tended to. otherwise still working, making money, and creating and designing. life moves forward dragging you with it. gonna go with the flow as it's said.