Friday, December 26, 2008

You got a breath on you like a hot mince pie.



[Brittles knows Quincannon has been drinking on duty]
Captain Nathan Brittles: You got a breath on you like a hot mince pie.
Top Sergeant Quincannon: Ah, Captain darlin'. As you well know I took "the pledge" after Chapultepec.
Captain Nathan Brittles: And Bull Run, and Gettysburg, and Shiloh, and St. Patrick's Day, and Fourth of July! (She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, 1949)
After Christmas dinner and all the presents we all sat around the living room and I grabbed the remote and they had She Wore a Yellow Ribbon on the Western channel. Of course the kids had never seen it and they loved it.


And all the adults had breath on them like a hot mince pie.

9 comments:

Trooper York said...

PS, I told my mother in law that she looked like Millicent Fenwick and she hit me over the head with a gingerbread house.

ricpic said...

Hard to believe the men and the women back in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon days masturbated.

But they did!

They did!

Trooper York said...

Especially Mildred Fenwick.

She had a whole set of curry combs and brushes that would put any livery stable to shame.

An Edjamikated Redneck said...

The scene with Quincannon in the bar fight is a classic as well. Four big bruisers can't stop him, but one small women has him doing the perp walk.

John Ford was a master storyteller, and one of the things that makes his movies so enjoyable is the small things that the characters do that make them so lifelike.

Like Capt. Brittles not just visiting his wife and childs' graves, but watering the flowers. So many directors would have missed that detail, but it is one that adds so much to the story.

Trooper York said...

It was that scene that let me go to my dads grave and talk to him as I clean it and straighten it out. It emmbarasses the hell out of my brothers and sisters but if it is good enough for the Duke it is good enough for me.

Trooper York said...

All the kids in the family had never seen it and sat entralled and watched it on the big screen and loved it.

Even some of the adults who said they didn't watch Westerns.

Trooper York said...

Of course I was calling her Mildred Natwick and not the old congresswoman from New Jersey, but she knew what I meant when she swung that gingerbread house.

She just knew that I was calling her an old broad and that got her dander up.

rcocean said...

Never apologize Mister, it's a sign of weakness.

blake said...

It emmbarasses the hell out of my brothers and sisters

Really?

I'm reminded of a line from Michael: "Why? Do you think people with think less of you?"