Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tales from Amy's Garden


Fiver: There's something very queer about the warren this evening
Hazel: Is it dangerous?
Fiver: No this time it’s still very different. It feels happy.
Bigwig: I know. It never used to feel s0 happy. The lady in the cottage is singing and laughing and she isn’t even drunk. At least not as drunk as she used to be all the time.
Hazel: How do you know that? Did you see go to alcoholics meetings at the church?
Bigwig: No but I see her hanging around with her new friend. He likes to come in the garden and work on the vegetables. I think he really likes vegetables.
Fiver: No wonder he is hanging around here. I guess he likes to get his hands dirty.
Bigwig: He seems to like to get into all the nooks and crannies.
Hazel: Well the atmosphere in the garden has really seemed to improve since he started to visit. The badger is happy, the blue jays are twittering and even Jeremy the skunk had a smile for a moment.
Bigwig: I know but the lady has been getting a lot of nasty letters lately. But now she just laughs and throws them away.
Hazel: Thank God for that.
Fiver: Why is that? She used to get so mad when she got these letters and would screech and throw things.
Bigwig: Well I don’t know about that. I did hear her tell the mailman something.
Fiver: What’s that?
Bigwig: She said she was finally getting some.
Fiver: Some what?
Bigwig: I don’t know but it seems to make her happy. And there is less chance of getting hit with the stray wine bottle.
Hazel: Well that’s good. I hope she is getting plenty of that some whatever it is.
Fiver: Now if she will just stop stealing all the carrots when the man isn’t here it will be perfect.
(Watership Down, 1972)

6 comments:

Meade said...

Coincidentally, I was doing some yard work for my girlfriend last weekend and there was a wild rabbit that kept hopping along and following me around all over the yard. Twice, I almost accidentally stepped on the big-eared rodent. True story.

Weird.

Peter V. Bella said...

Meade,
You shoud have stepped on it, broken its neck, cleaned it and cooked it. Rabbit, prepared properly is a very tasty dish. If you need recipes, let me know.

blogging cockroach said...

just don t step on any cockroaches

blake said...

Rabbits down't usually follow people around, do they?

I mean, I'm a city boy, so what do I know? But I figured they'd run into too many Peter V. Bellas in their evolutionary chain to be too friendly.

Penny said...

Meade knows how to talk to the animals. ;)

Actually I had one a few summers ago that would come and sit right next to me when I was on the lounge chair. The deal was that if he sat there, I couldn't move a muscle, other than to watch him watching me back. I was honored to be offered such a deal.

blake said...

Le Petit Prince!