Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hey it's all over but the shouting.


So on to American Idol where they did songs of the Rat Pack. Or rather they tried to do songs of the Rat Pack with very mixed results. They basically did Sinatra songs and not anything by Dean or Sammie which was a big mistake in my book but what are you going to do.

First up with Chris who did a somnolent version of “The Way You Look Tonight.” Now they a full big band right on the stage and he went with the Sominex version. If you want to hear it done correctly listen to Frank’s version on “Sinatra at the Sands” with the Count Basie orchestra. This is a lush and beautiful song that needs an up-tempo arrangement not the slow as shit fancy crapola that he did. I thought it was terrible but the judges seemed to like it. But they love nipple hugging t-shirts and calling broads dude so what the fuck do they know.

Then little Allison butchered “Someone to Watch Over Me” which she could have pulled off if she copied the Linda Ronstadt version with the Nelson Riddle arrangement. I would not have picked this song for her because she has a harsh growley sort of voice so once again I would have went for a fast up-tempo fun song that she could have belted with full power with the big band behind. She was OK but I think she might be eliminated tonight.

Matt the hat went with “My Funny Valentine” which he just does not have the chops to sing. I mean he could have went with any number of Sinatra tunes that he could have made a bluesy swinging arrangement but he chose to butcher this song which requires a tone and control that he just ain’t got. Listen to the Lena Horn or Nancy Wilson versions if you want to see how this song should be done. Simon inexplicably praises him but I think it was just to pimp him up to keep him in another week for some reason. I think Simon wants Allison out so he and Ryan can have a sausage fest. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but Matt deserves to go after that piss poor performance.

Then there was a big surprise. Danny Geeky the “Dead Wife Guy” managed to do a bluesy rocking big band version of “Come Rain or Come Shine.” Now he did exactly what I thought everyone should do, take a vaguely familiar song and use the big band to make it swing. He gave it a real bluesy edge and it was by far the best performance that he ever did. He was good enough for me to forget how much I hate his cringe inducing tragedy pimping ass. It was by far the best thing he has done.

Adam the eventual winner tops it by following the blueprint as well. He does an over the top version of “Feelin’ Good” while hitting notes that only eunuch cats can hit when their tails are run over by a garbage truck. He looks a lot like Elvis and struts around and shows you how it is done. Man it was great. They might as well give him the prize because no one can touch his performances. He is in a whole nother league. As Darcy would say: Game, Set, Match.

Allison and Matt are the bottom two and I am afraid that Allison goes home.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Loved, loved, loved Adam's strut down that staircase.

TitusTheCabaret said...

I just farted and it smells like goat cheese, arugula and pears.

thank you.

Also, because I am eating quite a bit of greens my loaves look very black.

again, thank you

TitusTheCabaret said...

How are your loaves?

Mine are super, thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

Who is this American Idol people keep referencing?

TMink said...

Troop, I certainly respect your knowledge of music. I am not as familiar with this material as you and while I have not watched idol I sure enjoyed your post and will seek out the mentioned versions.

Trey

Trooper York said...

Trey go out and buy or download "Sinatra at the Sands" with the Count Basie orchestra. It is the definitive recording of what the Rat Pack sound was all about. One of my top three favorite albums.