Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bird is the word or is it Muerto?


Mark the Bird Fidrych passed away yesterday in what seems like an accident while he was fixing his dump truck. He was of course that great flash in the pan pitcher for the Tigers who had a couple of great years and then fizzled out.

You know when you are a fan there are always a few guys on the other team you like and a bunch that you hate. When the league was smaller it was a lot easier. For the Tigers I always liked Norm Cash and Willie Horton and Bird Fidrych. Never cared for Al Kaline though. Or Alan Trammel or Lou Whitaker. For the Orioles I hated Jim Palmer and Frank Robinson but thought that Boog Powell and Mark Belanger were pretty cool. For the Brewers I loved Stormin Ghorman Thomas and Paul Moliter but Robin Yount always left me cold. For the Mariners the only guy I could stand was ex Yankee Jay Buhner. I mean I always hated A-Rod that's why it sucks when he came to the Yankees.

And of course other than Manny none of the Red Sox are worth a shit. Now that Manny's gone I can root for him to do well. The rest of them of course suck.

Anyway may Mark rest in peace. I will never forget those games where he acted like a crazy person out on the mound. Much more entertaining than the way corporate baseball is these days.

Hey maybe he will meet Marilyn Chambers in the line and get a quick hummer. May he rest in peace.

7 comments:

ricpic said...

The batters didn't figure him out. He was undone by injuries. Torn knee, torn rotator cup. Imagine the film that could be made of a career that started at the top and then went straight down. Of course no such film would ever be made. What's the point? That's the point. That there is no point. Sometimes things don't work out. At all. Who would go see that film? I would. At the end they could put in a coda that at least he had his memories. See? There's your happy ending.

Ron said...

I saw Fidrych pitch against Nolan Ryan at Tiger Stadium...Ryan lost, but, man, I will never forget his fastball, Jesus!

I had drinks once with Norm Cash at the Mighty Lindell AC...
Ol' Norm died when he got drunk and fell off a pier...

Kaline was OK, but Whitaker...he was strange. He forgot his uniform at the All Star Game, and they had to buy him one from the concession stand while wearing someone elses shoes...but he still homered off Doc Gooden!

Penny said...

RIP Harry Kalas, the voice of the Philadelphia Phillies.

TitusSheLikesAGangBangItGivesHerAThrill said...

I loved him and he was a good guy. He started a trucking business after he left baseball.

On a side note who are you all wearing at the teabag parties? I want to make an impact so I think I am going to be attending in head to toe Gucc. Is that too dramatic? I want heads to turn.

Penny said...

Oh come on now, Titus, you've been hanging out at Troop's long enough to know that wearing NOTHING makes the heads turn.

I dare you! In fact, let me double dare you!

Pictures, please.

Darcy said...

Oh, man. I loved that guy. What a terrible way to go.

*sad*

Darcy said...

And who could not like Tram and Sweet Lou?

Trooper!?? What? They were two of the nicest guys ever in baseball!

*pouts (a little)*