Thursday, April 9, 2009

So long Marvin, Godspeed.


The great defensive center for the Knicks Marvin Webster passed away this week. He was only in his fifties which makes me want to shit myself. He was called the Human Eraser because of his shot blocking ability and was a mainstay of the second unit of several decent Knick teams in the early '80's. He was traded to the Knicks for Lonnie Shelton and was a defensive force who went to the second unit when Billy Cartwright joined the team. That second unit under Hubie Brown was a defensive force with Webster and Louie Orr and Ken the Animal Bannister and Darrell Walker. Hubie would play them as a separate unit to freeze the game and hold down the score in the second and third quarters.

Marvin is the perfect example of an ex athlete who was very famous for a while in the biggest city of the country and then dropped off the map. There are tons of guys like that. They think it is going to last forever but it is very fleeting. They used to tell a story about Jerry Grote who was a pretty good catcher for the Mets. When he was a good player he blew off the fans and the press and was a nasty son of a bitch. But his last season when he was just hanging on he started trying to be friendly with the writers and the fans along the lines signing autographs and such. One of the sportswriters said "Grote started saying hello when it was time to say goodbye." I have always remembered that and try to always get to know everyone where ever I go. Not that I am a star or anything, but I try to acknowledge the clerks and the service people so I end up knowing everyone in the joint if I go there two or three times. When I walk into a store with someone and every says hello or has a joke or a comment, the person with me always asks how the hell do I know everybody in Brooklyn. I don't but I know enough to say hello before it is time to say goodbye.

But goodbye Marvin. Rest in Peace.

8 comments:

Trooper York said...

Marvin is only a couple of years older than me. This sucks. Big time.

Peter V. Bella said...

RIP Marvin .


Many many years ago, when I was in college, I got a job in the gift department of a high line store in the Loop. Everyday when I got on the elevator there was this tall, distinguished looking gentleman. I would say hello to him. Other people would look at me funny. I later found out that he not only owned that store, but a rather large chain of grocery stores and he was an editorial columnist for the Tribune.

When the holiday season ended, my boss came to me with a terrified look on his face. He said Mr. Garner wanted to see me. I went to the man’s office. He stood up, shook my hand, greeted me warmly and told me to sit down. He then rambled on about how everyone was afraid of him and no one ever talked to him. I was the first person in a long time who even ever said hello to him. He then offered me a regular part time job in one of his other stores. I tried to thank him. Instead he thanked me.

That is the power of a simple hello.

Ron said...

Man...I remember Marvin well. Very well written, Trooper.

ChocolateGodzilla said...

Two comments-

my granddad always told us kids- you see the same people on the way up that you will see on the way down, so be nice.

when I graduated from college, my dad told me to be certain to say goodbye to everyone, really take some time and do it right, because some guys i would never see again.

TMink said...

I follow the same sort of interpersonal behavior. I was in Montgomery, AL, a town which still suffers from a lot of racial tension and pain, waiting to talk to the young lady who writes your name down. She asked some question and I answered "Yes mam" despite my being old enough to be her cool, hipster father.

The young black lady tilted her head and gave me a look. "Nobody ever called me mam before." I smiled and said "That is just the way my mother raised me. Besides, when I call you mam, you know you have my respect, and that there is nothing weird in my heart toward you."

She tilted her head again and said "That makes sense. Thank you sir."

We got our table immediately.

Not that that was the point, but it did work out nicely.

Trey

rcocean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rcocean said...

On the plus side Marvin "Bad News" Barnes is still going strong.

Ron said...

I will never forgive the Pistons for taking Marvin "Bad News" Barnes in the ABA dispersal draft instead of...Moses Malone. Goddamn it!