Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Now we're talking! Idol does songs of the Rat Pack!


Hey they announced that American Idol will be doing the songs of the Rat Pack and man that is right up my alley. So some song picks.


Allison: "Luck be A Lady Tonight" from the Chairman of the Board. Sammy's Davis's "What kind of fool am I." Deano's"Ain't Love a Kick in the Head." Or even a fun arrangement of "High Hopes."


Danny: To pull those heartstrings out of your chest he has to sing Deans "Return to Me." Or "Fly Me to the Moon."


Matt: "Its a Quarter to Three" or Sammy's version of "Try a Little Tenderness" from the 1966 album of the same name.


Chris: Should go with "Love and Marriage" or Dean's "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime" with shots of his wife in the audience. Or the piano alone version of "You can't take that away from me" from Sinatra Live in London 1967.


Adam can bring the house down if he does "Angel Eyes" which is my favorite Sinatra performance. I saw him do it in Atlantic City when he was almost senile. I mean he blew through a medley of his hits like My Way and New York, New York but he put his heart and soul into "Angel Eyes." It would be perfect.


Basically my advice would be to stay away from the standards that everyone knows like "My Way" or "New York, New York" or even the "Summer Wind." That will become pure Karaoke and will not win them any points. There are plenty of great songs they can pick that they can hit out of the park.


I am excited.

2 comments:

Leland said...

I suspect you were greatly disappointed in last nights song choices. Your list was pretty much what I was hoping to hear. "Luck be a Lady", "Fly me to the Moon", "Angel Eyes", and ones you didn't mention "All of Me" or "Mack the Knife" would have been good. Unfortunately, none of that.

Ok performances, but nothing exciting. And how can piano boy not play the piano on a night like this? He's out.

Trooper York said...

Leland, you are a fan of the great American song book just like me. I think the only two guys it did it right was Adam and the dead wife guy. They picked more obscure songs and mixed up the arrangement a little to make it swing. The other one's just didn't get it.