Friday, December 23, 2011

Allie's Tales of Nasty Nurses!


Allie said......

Stephen King, Salems's Lot.

Years ago when I was working in Milwaukee County mental Health Complex, the old buildings from 1889 were still standing. They were old , scary and rife with flying cockroaches, despite spraying weekly in the wards.

Each ward was a locked one, the nurse on duty carried a set of keys for 6 wards that she was responsible on her shift, with nursing assistants manning the wards.

The elevators in the buildings were so creaky and rickety, with the iron sliding grates, I never dared using them, so I took the back stairwell. I happened to have been working the graveyard shift while reading Stephen King's The Night Shift.

At this time we had a nurse who was having a mental breakdown and would come to the buildings in the middle of the night, letting herself in with her keys, we were allowed to take home in those days.

I was being paged from ward to ward that night , as it was a full moon (seriously, it seemed they all went completely bonkers during a full moon), so whilst running up and down the back stairwell and being spooked because of the Stephen King book I'd been reading, who do I bump into headlong but the crazy nurse with a crazed look on her face.

I don't know where she went because I ran onto the ward after bumbling with the keys, looking absolutely white with fright, my nurses aides thought I saw a ghost , nope just a crazy nurse, who ended up being a patient herself.

12 comments:

Trooper York said...

I remember how scary "Salem's Lot" seemed when I read it.

Then they made the movie with the guy from Starsky and Hutch and it lost some of it's zing. Just sayn'

Trooper York said...

It was almost as bad as Herman Munster in "Pet Cemetary."

Anonymous said...

I somehow knew Nurse Ratched would show her face. Mean bitch.

windbag said...

I had just finished "Pet Sematary" when I had to take the trash out (at night). We lived in an apartment complex back then. As I opened the dumpster door, a cat flew out, screeching and howling, and ran past me. My heart still skips a beat when I think about it.

chickelit said...

Y'all take things so literary.

I feel like I don't fit in.

Anonymous said...

Milwaukee County Insane Asylum

I worked in what was at the time, the South Division, those back stairwells echoed everything, if one of our patients was screaming on the ward, it echoed throughout that stairwell. That was my first job out of nursing school, I was scared shitless for the first 6 months.

Anonymous said...

Chickie, need therapy?

chickelit said...

No. I'll just be like Chief: observe and sweep up later on.

Carry on.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Déjà moo.

AllenS said...

I have a good friend that was convicted of a crime, and his father paid a lot of money to keep him out of prison. He hired an attorney that got him into a mental hospital. My friend lasted less than a week, and said I'll take prison instead.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You have no idea how psychotic things are at those feed lots. Everyone stands around the mud looking stupid and they just feed you and feed you more bland corn. They even have to relieve the gas that builds up from with pvc tubing (guess where they shove it?).

Oh wait, we are not talking about that place anymore!

blake said...

Oh, you're not gonna pull that shit today, are you?

Not today!