Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sometimes when you turn the other cheek you just want to fart!


Yesterday we had a great customer who took us back to how we made the store work in the first place. This woman came in with her husband who insisted that she go out to get herself some clothes. She hated to spend money on herself as she was a caretaker for family members but he insisted that she go out and spend some time and money on herself. He wanted to take her to the city but she remembered shopping with us two years ago and always wanted to come back. So they did.

Now I came out of the back to talk to the husband. That is what I used to do all the time but it got away from me a little because I have been so busy with other things. Anyway they were there for the long haul. Four hours worth. About half way in the wife goes to her husband "You should go out for a beer." But he didn't want to leave her so we went and got beers from the bodega next door. When game back the wives went "Hey where's our beer." So it was beer all around while they were shopping.

Now these guys were your typical new types to Brooklyn. They had a lot of dough and own a building in Park Slope. And they love the new trendy restaurants. In fact they were talking about how much they love "Prime Meats" which is a German style restaurant on Court St. They server all of Allies favorite dishes that I bet she remembers as a child. They even put out a sidewalk cafe in the warm weather.

Now I went into my normal song and dance about how there are two types of places. The trendy new person place and the regular guy place that normal people go where it costs a lot less and you get a lot more food. He was naming his favorite joints and one after another were yuppie scum touristy traps. Which is fine for him. I don't begrudge him his success and he was a very nice guy and his wife is a doll. I am so very grateful that they came to shop in my store. I just told him my story about "Prime Meats."

You see every Sunday as you leave Mass all of the old people walk up Court St and pass the rich elitist yuppie scum hipster douchebags who are eating brunch outside. They walk up the street to "Good Food" the Italian Salumeria and get the stuff you need to cook breakfast and dinner. You know. Eggs. Bacon. Bread. Milk. Tomatoes. Pasta. Basil. The works. They you carry it home and you cook it. I am right in there with the old ladies as we buy our stuff for Sunday dinner. It is a ritual. You go to church and then go home for Sunday dinner with the family. It is what you do.

But it is not for everybody. I get it. Some people want to just get the New York Times and have brunch at a cafe and mock the honest working people who don't have their advantages in life. These scumbags are uniformly big time liberals but have no friends of another race or ethnic origin. They don't even know the names of the people who serve them in the stores they go to in the neighborhood. That's their life. I leave it to them. I would rather try to be humble and acknowledge the people who help me every day with my shopping and getting and spending. The countermen at the deli. The mailman. The girl at the bakery. The dude at the hardware store. They deserve a Merry Christmas and maybe a couple of dollars. It can make a difference for them.

Just a thought on the week before Christmas.

45 comments:

ndspinelli said...

I like to lean forward when I fart...just like the MSNBC slogan. However, sometimes it's a shart

ndspinelli said...

We like going to the theatre in Madison owned by Robert Redford. I hate that untalented asshole but it's a good theatre and you can drink legally. We went last night to see Young Adults. I always get a couple beers. They just started carrying Pabst, showing that it takes time for hipster trends to get to the midwest. The irony being Pabst is a Milwaukke brew. They serve it in kingers so it's even better. My bride gets vino. We always bring our own pistachios.

Fred4Pres said...

That is a great post. That is certainly the truth.

Trooper York said...

Thanks Fred.

By the way the guy I was talking about was a great guy. He just likes different things than me. Which is fine. I don't control the world. I pointed him to some joints he might try. If he does and likes them I will be happy.

They were a lovely couple.

Ron said...

Sometimes...you have good experiences at tourist trap places!

I miss going to New York...

windbag said...

When we put my grandmother in the nursing home, we felt really bad. So we went to visit her and check on the quality of care she was receiving. We stopped outside the door of the recreation room and observed her for a couple of minutes. She started to tilt over to one side, and one of the attendants quickly righted her. She tipped over the other way, and the attendant set her back up. We were impressed with the attention to detail and the loving concern the staff showed to Grandma. So, we went in and greeted her and asked her how she liked it there. She replied, "Well, they're nice folks and all, but they won't let me fart!"

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fred4Pres said...

I went to two different parties last night.

The first one was a couple from church who invited us to a pot luck. He is in the Army. He had other Army friends over and some firefighters. Great bunch of people. Kids running around and playing. People talking. Great stories about Iraq and Kuwait. And holiday fires. No one hurt, but about how stupid people are. And how a simple kitchen fire will stump the average American male now a days (they just stand there and wait for help as their kitchens burn).

Then I went to a party with a completely different crowd (I was committed and had to go). College professors. Don't get me wrong, they were really nice people (for the most part) but they were really similar to the customers you had today.

I preferred the first party far more.

I did some salmon smoked on the stove for both parties. It was equally a hit at both functions. I put the filets skin down (they were big filets) over a thin layer of hickory chips in a cast iron skillet (dry). I put a glass lid over it. I cooked it slow at first to make sure the salmon cooked properly and then fishished it high so the chips started smoking. Only took a few minutes to smoke the filets. Then I took them off, finished with some springs of fresh rosemary and basil and some kosher salt.

I had to but the range fan on but the smoke was not bad. The hickory flavor was in the fish. But the fish was not overly salty like some smoked fish can get. The filets were super moist and not over cooked, but not like lox either.

blake said...

Hey, hipster doofuses need merry Christmases, too.

The Dude said...

He so ronery no mo' - Kim Il Jong is dead. Black arm bands are now being worn in Wisconsin.

windbag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Dude said...

Okay, it was Kim Jong Il, but now you can call him Kim Jong Dead.

Trooper York said...

When they posted an alert that a terrible horrible dictator died tonight I felt really bad for Meade.

Then they said it was Kim Jong Il and I said Oh. Ok.

The Dude said...

Well, they both liked blondes and cheap wine, so there is that. Okay, I made up the wine thing.

Titus said...

What about those of us that like both?

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You are worthless Kim Jong Il...

Titus said...

God didn't hear Tebow today.

Instead, The Devil-Brady and Belicheck won.

Go Patriots!

windbag said...

What do you think Hitchens is saying to Kim right now?

"Hot as hell, ain't it, buddy?"

"God knows I've looked everywhere and there isn't a door."

"Auditions in 3...2...1..."

"Got a cigarette?"

"Got a light?"

"I'll bet Madeleine Albright was a she-devil, wasn't she?"

Opus One Media said...

Jesus TY, you are beginning to write like me! Stop it.

Merry Christmas you buzzard.

Opus One Media said...

As to Kim and hell per the above comments:

The devil is giving tours for the new comers to hell and GWB was at his side. The devil said he would take GWB to three places in hell suitable for politicians and give him his pick as after all he was an x-president.

Place #1 had Nixon in it and he had this huge hammer and a mountain of rocks and that's what he had to do 24/7...No no no cried George - that's too hard.

Place #2 came and it had Cheney cleaning out the devil's stables with his hands. No no no..that's sickening....

Place #3 and Pres. Kim and he was dorking this gorgeous blonde, just non-stop animalistic sex..so George says...aha! that's my place..I want this one!

You're sure?

yes yes...me me me!

Ok...he says, unlocking the cage door...in you go. Hey blonde girl, your replacement is here.

Roger J. said...

HD--cute--loved it

Hope things are going well for you

Tank said...

Jesus HD, that's older than me.

Once, we were in Paris and I said, "let's go to see the Eiffel Tower." My wife said, "kind of touristy, no?" Well, we were tourists, so we went.

Turns out it's like Central Park, with the frisbees, the cute girls, the school kids, the picnicers, the sun bathers, and...of course, a big tower. Yes, Central Park in Paris.

What's the point?

The Dude said...

hdhouse, no one writes as poorly as you do.

J said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roger J. said...

Trooper: clean up at 08:57

Roger J. said...

sometimes a consonant is just a consonant

chickelit said...

Hey, the non vivant is back, spouting non mots!

I thought he was swimming with the hitches.

Trooper York said...

J you are not welcome here. Your posts will be deleted. Please take your comments over to Althouse where your insights and attitudes have always found a home. If you have any questions about why you are not welcome here but are welcome at Althouse please email Meade and he will explain it all to you.

J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ndspinelli said...

Trooper, I subtely let the 2 men who married my sisters that if they ever laid a hand on them I would break their hands. I wish I could break a couple hands for you on this, but it's a virtual world, not real. Sorry you have to deal w/ this scum. He's deleted @ Althouse and just trolling for venues.

Anonymous said...

Uh, the family has gotten me up early again, I may just turn into a day person, but not likely. HD House, the guy I've heard so much about, so glad to see you.I visit your beautiful blog almost every day. Trooper so kindly referred it to me.

Uh oh I see one slipped through. Call for Trooper.

The Dude said...

EBC said that she never saw a comment by J that included the word "yid", yet even a cursory search at this late date will return 4 pages full of them. I guess one sees what one wants to see. I am not going to spend a lot of time looking for them, but one is dated December 6th, 2011. Hey Meade, get busy!

chickelit said...

Capichay Escondido Pollo

Dude, I'm not the one hiding. You are, chicken.

chickelit said...

EBC said that she never saw a comment by J that included the word "yid", yet even a cursory search at this late date will return 4 pages full of them.

J humors EBL.

The Dude said...

And vice versa, eh?

chickelit said...

Yep. That's certainly consistent with observed data.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

J is a man of consonant sorrow...

AllenS said...

I would like to share a Christmas lesson/experience with you all, about drinking and driving through the holidays.

A couple of nights ago, I was out for a few drinks with some friends and had a few too many beers. Knowing full well I may have been slightly over the limit, I did something I've never done before - I took a bus home.

I arrived home safely and without incident, which was a real surprise, as I have never driven a bus before and am not sure where I got this one.

Have a great Christmas...bus rides are available for a limited time....

Roger J. said...

I can only assume consonant person was not breastfed.

Roger J. said...

AllenS--not being one avoid alcohol in all of its varied forms, I carry a small breathalyzer in the truck. Its been a good investment in terms avoiding trouble

In other news I enjoyed Fred's smoked salmon story, because I do love smoking steelhead (not salmon)--Just finished up a turkey breast for the holidays. I use the Brinkley smoker, and prefer apple wood and cherry wood for lighter means--Cant get alder chips in this part of the country, and steelhead smoked with anything but alder is crime against humanity.

windbag said...

Ignore the troll...flirt with Allie instead.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You may like this post,

Anonymous said...

Allen, I wonder if the bus owner is missing their bus. I'm alone for a few hours, so I can awhile away my hours qvatching here there everywhere.

My daughter is out Christmas shopping with her best friend, she's being treated royally by family and friends alike, the "war hero", she laughs when I call her that. Her biggest complaint about being there is boredom, hope it stays boring.

Our measly little snow already melted , very warm early winter. Global warming, you know :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I hate autocorrect.