Friday, December 23, 2011

Should they be playing with their balls on the day the Baby Jesus was born?



They had an article on MSN today about whether or not they should play sports on Christmas. The columnist Jen Floyd Engel came down firmly on the side that they should not. And I agree.

I had season tickets to the New York Knickerbockers for twenty years and they always had a game on Christmas Day. I remember one year my brother and I went to the game. It was the early game that started at noon so we figured we would be home by three in the afternoon or so. It was against Larry Bird and the Celtics. It went into triple overtime. It was crazy and we didn't get home until about seven o'clock at night. And we were pretty drunk. My mother was pretty pissed since my brother was about 15 at the time. So Christmas games can really mess you up.

The Giants and the Jets play on Christmas Eve on just about the first meaningful regular season game they have ever played against each other. Both have a slim chance at the playoffs that will evaporate if they lose. So they will be going at it tooth and nail. And all those fans have to give up their Christmas Eve dinner to see the game. What a mess.

They should just cancel the games on Christmas. It is just not right.

Don't play with your balls on the day the Baby Jesus was born. It's just not right.

17 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Should I post this thread and call you a hypocrite if Big Blue wins on Baby Jesus' birthday (and you cheer on your team over the lame-o Jets)?

ricpic said...

Christmas Fight! Christmas Fight!

That's all the Post has been screaming in its sports section for the past week.

ricpic said...

Christmas Fight! Christmas Fight!

That's all the Post has been screaming in its sports section for the past week.

ricpic said...

Pity the fool who double posts.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

You triple posted.

It is all good. Big Hugs!

AllenS said...

There is no doubt in my mind, that little baby Jesus was a Packer fan. Even way back then, he knew, my dad is going to do something like way totally really big. You just wait!

windbag said...

Does Jesus do anything for Santa on his birthday?

rcocean said...

Celtics and Knicks on Christmas? What year was that?

Too bad Detroit and Celtics were never on at Christmas, it would've given new meaning to the phrase "Bloody Christmas".

Trooper York said...

It was 1985 and the Knicks won 114-103and we beat Larry Bird, Kevin Mchale and of course JFK. (Joe Fucking Kleine)

But I misremembered as it was an actual two overtime game.

The Knicks have played on Christmas on 45 seperate occasions, the most in the NBA.

Trooper York said...

I think we spent the third overtime in O'Reilly's pub on 31st Street.

dbp said...

God loves sports! What better way to honor him on his birthday than to enjoy life-affirming physical excellence?

Take-in a midnight mass on the eve, open presents Christmas morning and then off to the game.

Trooper York said...

We are planning on Midnight Mass this year. We are staying at my in-laws in Long Island and nobody will get up in time for the 10 o'clock expcept me.

So it's Midnight Mass or nothing.

dbp said...

Hey, we are going down to LI just after Christmas to hang with my Wife's brother and his wife and super cute little son.

blake said...

I think if God didn't want us to play with them, he wouldn't have given us balls in the first place, right?

Tank said...

The game is at 1 PM.

Who eats Christmas Eve dinner at 1 PM?

Not Jesus.

Not when the World Champion New York Giants are playing the whiney green crybabies.

Roger J. said...

As I recall one of the geatest games ever played was the Chiefs-Dolphins game on Christmas day; the six quarter, sudden death game--that was god's message to us that sports on christmas day was OK; of course I am not a theologian but I did stay in a holiday in last week.

ndspinelli said...

RogerJ, That Christmas Day game was a dark day for KC fans. I moved to KC a few years afterward. I watched on tv from my home Nutmeg State. Got to know several folks who were @ that game. Ed Podolak had a career game for KC and they loved the guy after that.

Trooper, When I was in college in the early 70's the Knicks and Celtics were great teams. My college comprised mostly of North and South Jersey kids..NY and Philly fans. I was one of the few new Englander Celtic fans. Having to bust balls outnumbered 10-1 helped toughen me up. Some of those Knick/Celtic games were the best I ever watched. It's funny, while my home Nutmeg State is pretty evenly divided between Yanks/Red Sox, the Celtics owned Ct.