Saturday, April 6, 2013

We have been eating at home since the first of the year!




We have been so busy that we have not gone out to eat a lot. Until last night.

One of the things that has stopped us is that the wife has to eat a special diet. No starches. No pizza. No macaroni. No bread. None of the good stuff. So I have to come up with delicious food that she can eat and not feel deprived.

One of the things I have been using a lot is barley. As a grain it is not like rice or wheat that shoots up her sugar. It takes a long time to digest so it helps fill you up and inhibits your appetite.

I have been making it in a simple stir fry.

First I took some green and red peppers and a couple of onions. Chopped them up in the food processor. Then chopped about two heads of garlic as well. I sauteed them in a wok until they were nice and soft and then took them out and reserved them. Then I flashed fried some broccoli and reserved that. Boiled the barley and drained it. Put the veggies in the wok and slowly added in the barley. Mix it all together like a big busta chote and then add a shit load of low sodium soy sauce. Mix it thoroughly. You will have the equivalent of fried rice. Just add chicken. Or shrimp. Or pork.

Oh yeah. Don't forget to add the peas. Chuck would be pissed if you didn't add some peas.

A great diabetic dish.

4 comments:

ricpic said...

I'm gonna try barley. Bored outta my skull with the rice, pasta, potatoes trio. Also it can't be that hard to make a stick to the ribs mushroom and barley soup with that falling apart boiled beef in it. Maybe I can recite a spell and bring my gramma back to stand over the pot with her back to me like a conductor orchestrating the perfect soup while I yammered away in her kitchen where the electric was always on because the shafts of sunlight could barely make it down from the sixth floor to her first floor inner courtyard in Crown Heights.

ndspinelli said...

Beef barley is one of my favorite soups. If it's on a menu I always order it.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Can she eat faro? It is wheat but a really old variety that does not trigger most traditional wheat allergies. And while I prefer it as al dente rice, it is really good in soups where it gets barley like (but better).

blake said...

Barley is one of the better grains.