Sunday, September 7, 2014

Congratulations to the Captain



Today was Derek Jeter Day at Yankee Staduim. They had a big ceremony to honor his accomplishments as a Yankee. You can really hate the Yankees and Jeter and still acknowledge that he did it right. Just like I hate Cal Ripken but I can acknowledge that he did the same thing and was a credit to the game. That is why it was appropriate that he came to the field to honor Jeter. They are the same kind of guys. Hall of Famer's who came up with one team and stayed with the same team their whole career. Something that is increasingly rare these days and might be something we will never see again.
The Yankees have a long tradition of these events ever since the first one where they said goodbye to another Captain Lou Gehrig. Then there was the day for Babe Ruth when he was dying and before you know it the ceremony evolved into the old timers game and having Horace Clarkes number retired. But Derek deserved it. Really the first one to deserve the full boat since Mickey Mantle.

Derek will reside in the top five all time Yankees. Ruth. Gehrig. DiMaggio. Mantle. Jeter.

We won't see his like in a long, long time.

7 comments:

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

It is impossible to hate Jeter. He is an awesome player.

I am surprised he has not settled down and started to raise a passel of kids, because I suspect he would be an awesome dad. Perhaps that is his plan now, given he is still relatively young (40).

ndspinelli said...

I put Hector Lopez ahead of Jeter.

Trooper York said...

I know. That's why you like Turley over Previously TV!

Trooper York said...

I know. That's why you like Turley over Previously TV!

ndspinelli said...

I have looked @ Previously TV several times. I just don't watch enough TV to get into it. And only losers watch reality TV. I'm finishing up a Louis CK marathon, almost done w/ season 3. I give him a C. Started the Leftovers, watched 4 episodes. OK so far, but uneven.

ndspinelli said...

Turley is a fucking Cub fan. That's a loser!!

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

I went to a game when Jeter was injured from sliding. I was in seats behind the Yankee dugout. My sign said "Slide Like Jeter."

Jeter was there and some of the Yankees got him to come out. He smiled and shook his head.

I felt bad. For a second.

Jeter is a class act.