Monday, September 29, 2014

Tales from Amy's Garden



Hazel:  You are finally back Kehaar. Thank you for scouting over the heather. We need to know what is happening but it is too dangerous for us to send out the Owlsa. Did you find anything on your flight?
Kehaar: Nothing matey! Nuthing you would care about Mr. Hazel.
Hazel: Did you fly over the old warren? How are they doing over there?
Kehaar: Many rabbits. Too many rabbits. All of them fighting. But not like old days. Now all fight with nasty black crow. He pecks and he pecks at their eyes and they all get very  angry. Everything seems to be about the crow.
Holly: I am not surprised. It was always an evil place. A place where the black crows will go to take over and destroy everything. Like Detroit.
Bigwig: What do you mean?
Holly[shows Bigwig the scar on his stomach] You see this? They did it to me.  I was minding my own business when a bunch of crows went on a riot. They attacked everyone in a flock. There was nothing you could do. They were all angry because a farmer shot a crow who was stealing his corn. The crows claim the corn belonged to them. They didn’t plant it. They didn’t weed it. They didn’t harvest it. But they still claimed it was theirs. And that the farmer was a murderer because he tried to stop them from stealing. Plus they said I was a Jew. I don’t even know what that means.
Bigwig: What do you mean? What is a Jew?
Holly: I don’t know but it must be bad. They kept calling me that while they pecked at me. They tried to destroy everything. Then even destroyed their own nests. Why would they foul their own nests when they are angry. Crows are very strange. They are their own worst enemy.
Bigwig: It sounds like the old warren is even worse than it ever was before. I am glad we all left.  What else did you see Kehaar?
Kehaaar: Many other things. There is a new warren not so far from here. Many of the rabbits have gone over there. Even some of your own Mr. Hazel. They hop from here to there. Over the highway.  It is strange. The farmer is not like the crazy old lady who owned the old warren. He seems very nice.  If wimpy. Like a balloon without enough air. But he strict. Throw you overboard if you say wrong thing. He want all rabbits to play nice. Before he eats them.
Holly: That is the thing with farmers. You can’t trust them. They will turn on you.
Sliver: I am glad we are in our own place.
Holly: Me too. I just wonder who owns this land.
Hazel: Thank the great Lord El-ahrairah that this farm is owned by that fat man who is worried about his own concerns. He doesn’t worry about what the rabbits say or do. He is just trying to get a sandwich and look at woman’s teats. In fact I think that is his job.
Holly: Plus he doesn’t like rabbit. Only cow.

Hazel: I know. That is a good thing. We are very lucky.

2 comments:

chickelit said...

Here's a photo I managed to smuggle out of TOP. It shows an amateur ornrithologist vociferously defending crows. I think her name was Meade.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Was that Amy Winehouse?