Sunday, September 21, 2014

Happy Valley is a pretty good show



I love to read our friend Blake's great blog "The Bit Maelstrom" to get movie reviews and decide what I am going to spend my hard earned money on when I go to pay per view. He always gives me a feel for the latest flicks so I can decide if I want to chance it.

Personally I don't like movies much anymore. They are mostly just bullshit. I certainly don't want to go to a movie house with a bunch of other people and listen to their bullshit while me feet are stuck to the floor from spilled sticky soda and smelly popcorn farts. I prefer to watch my widescreen smart TV on my couch with snacks and a bathroom steps away.

So I concentrate on TV series. Now that I have Netflicks I get a bunch of great new shows that I know nothing about. One of them was a little British cop series called "Happy Valley."

Now it stars a couple of Brits you might be familar with. One is Mrs. Obrien from "Downton Abbey" who left that series to come to this one. She plays the alcholic drug addicted sister who is trying to recover while living with her police Sergent sister and her grandson. That sister is played by a great actress named Sarah Lancashire who you might know from "Last Tango in Halifax" which is another great series to be found on Netflicks ( which I will talk about in another post).

This series only has six episodes but is an adsorbing crime drama about kidnapping. The Yorkshire countryside is also a character and very interesting to me. This series is great TV viewing and short enough that you won't get bored. So if you have a chance you should check it out. It beats the crap out of most of American episodic TV.

1 comment:

Trooper York said...

"With me feet stuck to the floor?"

I have been watching too many British shows.

I will be right back. I have to put the kettle on.