Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Killer Angel

Chamberlain looked out from the trench over the field of fire on Little Round Top. He could see that this might be a very important place in this battle for Gettysburg. But he did not know what to do. Who should he report to now that the lines of communication had been broken. Reynolds was dead and he did not know the chain of command. He went to confer with his brother.

“I think I have to go see the General, Lieutenant. I don’t like the looks of this situation. It looks like a tragedy in the making.”
“What General is that Joshua,” asked his brother Tom. “Do we even know who is in command?”
“That’s Colonel when the men can hear Lieutenant” replied Chamberlain. “I think Meade is in command.”
“Which one is he Colonel.”
“I think he’s the one with the beard.”
“I think he is the one that is the beard Colonel darling,” piped up Sergeant Buster Kilrain, “you will find him hiding in the root cellar.”
“How do you know that Buster” asked Tom.
“Just a feelin’ to be sure, just a feelin’ in these old bones.” Kilrain wiped his nose on his sleeve. “It is a powerful sad thing.”

No comments: