Friday, March 20, 2009

Remembrance of things Pabst


We used to hit this hard core Spanish place on Atlantic Avenue called Fuente Unido when the other bars were too crowded. It was always empty and was owned by this enormously fat guy who was in a wheel chair. He always had the hottest young Latina bartenders though, almost always underage. The bar was usually empty I think he got a real late crowd. He did have a great pool table there that you could get into a nice money game. Some of those Spanish dudes were real good though so it didn't pay to play with someone you didn't know. Later the guy sold the bar to Julio from Julio's place after he had to move when they knocked down the bar. Then it became a couple different bars, I think one called Magnetic Field where I heard there was a lot of drugs going on but I don't know if that is true.


I always think of Fuente Unido at tournament time because we saw that famous game where Duke won on a great catch and shoot by Christian Laetner one year. We all saw it on a tiny TV that they had rigged up for the night. It was a hoot.


Oh and the owner in the wheelchair had these two little dogs that kind of look like the one in the picture. I wonder?

9 comments:

Titusalwaysforgetshispassword said...

OMG, thank you so much.

Is that not the most beautiful creature in the world?

And so gentle. Wouldn't hurt a fly.

And very easy going. You want to go out to the park and play they will go. You want to stay home all day and sit on the couch and watch tv? They will sit on the couch all day and watch tv and sleep and fart and snore. What is not to love?

chickelit said...

Sorry, but I just can't remember most of my things Pabst.

I'm Full of Soup said...

Laettner made that shot at the Soectrum in Philly I believe. I am guessing around 1991?

Penny said...

Is that a rare clumber? I am a dog lover, yet never saw one before. Titus, you are so lucky! I will have to read up more on the breed, but your description did nothing but heighten my interest.

Michael Haz said...

What a great looking dog. Is that an actual clumber?

Trooper York said...

Yes it is.

Ruth Anne Adams said...

AJ Lynch: I think it was 1992. It was the day my mother-in-law died. I had to wait to call our priest, because he was a Duke grad and I knew he'd be watching that.

Trooper York said...

Not one of the Spanish guys knew what my buddy was cheering about. He had Duke for dime nine times and bought the house drinks for the rest of the night. Of course everyone was drinking Bud nips which fifty cents a bottle so it was about 30 bucks a round. Big spender.

Ralph L said...

Is Laettner gay or just a pretty boy (now aging)?