Monday, January 21, 2013

You always remeber the first time



The first time I ever went to a Yankee game was in 1964 with my Dad and my best friend and his Dad. My Dad got tickets from somewhere and we were going to the Stadium. And a night game too!

I went out to box ball on the street that morning as I always did during the summer. All the kids went out on Tompkins Place and we played box ball and stick ball and Skelly and Johnnie on the pony and Ringolevio all day long. So as we are playing there suddenly was a big commotion at the Geraci's house. Their house was weird because the never locked the front door to the vestibule. So you could walk right in without a key!

Well this day a bum went into the vestibule and went to sleep. Now we had bums back then, We didn't call them "homeless." They were bums or derelicts and were chased away from business and homes. There weren't all that many of them in our neighborhood because the Norwegian Seaman's church offered rooms for about $1 a day and most of the people who feel on hard times would go there. So if you were on the street it was your choice. There was one guy we all called Rockafella. He was a former longshoreman and had lost his hand. He would get drunk on cheap wine and rant about Rockefeller and the rich bankers and stuff. You know. Sort of like garage mahal. Everybody ignored him or gave he a dime because he was harmless. But nobody knew this guy sleeping in the vestibule.

Now the Geraci's had a big savage German Shepard. That something you don't see much anymore. The breed is not as popular as it used to be. They were replaced by pitt bulls as the savage guard dogs. But in the sixties everybody had a German Shepard if they felt they needed protection. Well Mrs. Geraci let the dog out on this bum and started biting the shit out of him while she was smacking him with a mop handle. He jumped up and staggered away. And that was that. Now if it happened today it would be an international incident and a hate crime and all kind of shit. But now it was all over. Well except for all the new words we learned that day. You see Mrs. Geraci was cursing and screaming and we learned a few new words. Cocksucker. Motherfucker. Spook. Shine. Spade. And of course the N word.

You see the bum was black. He was in the wrong place in Carroll Gardens in 1964. Just sayn'

Anyhoo after all the excitement that morning we all walked down to the Subway to go to the Stadium. I will never forget the view when the Number 4 train burst out of the tunnel into the light and you could see the Stadium and all the people walking on River Avenue. Buying programs and hot dogs and beers. The excitement was almost too much even before we went up to our seats in the Upper Deck. This was the "old" old stadium with all the pillars and posts that blocked your view. Everybody seemed to be dressed up. Wearing white dress shirts and hats. Lots of the men were wearing ties. It was different back then.

So we are sitting there watching the last great Yankee team before they fell of the cliff. There was Mickey Mantle and Tom Tresh and a new young kid called Mel Stottlemyre. And my favorite player Roger Maris. They still had all the old stars and Yogi was the manager. But they weren't playing all that well and the natives were getting restless. I guess they sensed the team was getting too old and the string had run out. Anyway it was an exciting game. As I remember Johnny Blanchard hit two home runs. He was the backup catcher who couldn't catch but had some pop in his bat. It was in the late innings, maybe even the bottom of the ninth. The score was tied and there was a man on base and they decide to pinch hit for Johnny. which was strange but it was a lefty/righty thing. But everybody started booing and I wanted to get into the spirit of thing. I decided I wanted to use one of those new words I had learned that day. So I stood up and squeaked in my loudest voice "Get that Nigger off the Field!"

My father grabbed me and slapped me off the head. I was stunned. What did I do?

Well you see the pinch hitter was catcher Elston Howard. The first black Yankee. And to top it off there were five black guys sitting right behind us. My Dad turned to them and said "The kid doesn't even know what that means. We don't talk like that." And they were cool. Of course today I would have arrested. But it was a simpler time back in 1964. Dare I say a better time.

I always think of this story on opening day. Oh and on Martin Luther King Day. And of course today on Inaugural Day.


26 comments:

Chip S. said...

These "first game" stories are great.

I don't remember much of anything from my first game at Fenway Park. I didn't realize why until talking about it one day w/ my Dad, who told me that there'd been some guy urinating in the back row of the grandstand.

I think it may have been Don Zimmer, but that might be one of those "recovered" memories.

ndspinelli said...

I was too young[4] to remember my first trip to the Stadium. It was in 1957 and my mom told me my old man was pissed because all I wanted to do was eat and I fell asleep in the 6th inning.

blake said...

Wait, what?

blake said...

My next baseball game will be my first.

ndspinelli said...

I'm in Norman, Ok. on my way to San Diego. Just had some good bbq.

ndspinelli said...

blake, Are you a fan of any sport?

chickelit said...

I remember the Milwaukee Braves and Hank Aaron when I was a kid. After they moved, I lost interest in baseball completely and transferred all sports affection to Packers.

chickelit said...

A neighbor down the street once took me to Badger football game in the late 60s or early 70's. I remember being awed by Rufus "Roadrunner" Ferguson. Whatever happened to him?

In college I was in love with the daughter of one of the Packers' Board of Directors. It was unrequited and I never got so much as a hot kiss, let alone a warm seat at Lambeau.

The Dude said...

I miss my German Shepherd mix - he was a great dog.

AllenS said...

I remember going to my first game at Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, MN, in 1961. It was a big deal. My neighbor Bruce's dad took us there from White Bear Lake where we lived. First we stopped somewhere in Bloomington at a very large department store. I had never been in a building so big. It was bigger than the train station in St. Paul.

ndspinelli said...

AllenS, I was living in KC when the Twins played their last game there. I've always kicked myself in the ass for not driving up there for a game.

Titus said...

My first football game was Camp Randall in the mid 70's. There was a guy that would run out of the stadium dressed like a cheerleader and do the cheers with them. He was called The Portage Plumber.

I went to a Green Bay football game at Country Stadium-I remember the field looking weird because the baseball field ran to one side of it. I also went to County Stadium for my first professional baseball game. I can't remember the year-sometime in the 70's-Cecil Cooper, Robin Yount, Jim Gantner, Paul Molitor and believe Rolly Fingers with the fucked up statsh.

When I first moved to Boston-late-early 90's you could still get tickets cheap to sporting events-now they are all booked and fucking expensive.

I feel like just one of the guys here.

I just spit and grabbed my balls.

tits.

windbag said...

I feel like just one of the guys here.

I just spit and grabbed my balls.


I would have guessed it was more along the lines of: you feel one of the guys, he grabs your balls, and spits afterward.

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

ndspinelli, I have some Sooner pals who love watching games in Norman. But that is true for any big college team.

On Wisconsin. Even if you choke in the Rose Bowl.

blake said...

Nick,

Not really. We all watched baseball when I was a kid—the Dodgers had an exciting team back then.

I preferred football, and I can still enjoy a football game, but I'm not a fan.

In the '80s, I used to love to watch boxing, but after a couple of bouts where one of the fighters ended up dead or crippled for life, I lost my taste for it.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching football these days, either, though it's not boxing, where the literal point is to beat someone into unconsciousness.

In general, I'm much less spectator-oriented. I'll play any sport, however badly, over watching.

That's not just sports, either. In general, the answer to the question "What music do you listen to?" is "Whatever I play."

chickelit said...

In general, I'm much less spectator-oriented.

Yet you're an excellent spectator of films. Have you ever participated in films?

blake said...

Except for some writing, not really.

It's not something that comes up with books or movies, or anything with a narrative structure.

It does with music, and less so with sports, and even the occasional video game. I play about 5 minutes of Tomb Raider and I want to set up an obstacle course in the back yard.

Titus said...

Were just a bunch of men here shooting the shit, talking sports, tits, beave shots...and fuckin stuff like that.

yea, fuck yea.

Titus said...

How do you guys link to some other site or youtube?

I am scared, is it hard?

thanks.

tits.

chickelit said...

Titus, it's just a matter of telling the computer what the link is and also what you want the linking word to be which is what shows up in blue.

rcocean said...

Remember my first college football game Alabama vs. ND Sugar bowl - 1974(?), actually saw part of it youtube.

It was better than I remember - except for Howard Cosell. He was even worse than I remember.

Titus said...

Titus, it's just a matter of telling the computer what the link is and also what you want the linking word to be which is what shows up in blue.



What/

chickelit said...

Titus: It's hard to write out the instructions because blogger will execute the instructions and what appears in my comment will hide the details you're interested in.

Here are some instructions: link

john said...

AllenS -

My first baseball game was a Twins game against the Yankees in 1961. Were you there? Where were you sitting?

john said...

I was with my dad and little brother down the third base line, in the bleachers because the Met stadium didnt have the permanent seats along that line.

Probably had a white shirt, half way up, to the far corner of section, baseball glove, almost caught a foul ball, Skowrun homered, so did Killebrew, Twins won.

Titus said...

Thanks Chick-how nice of you to help!