Monday, January 21, 2013

You always remember your first time......

 

ricpic said...
True story: my introduction to big league ball was at Ebbets Field, Dodgers vs Cards. This was in '53 and I was 9, which tells you that I'm 39 today, but the Cards were of course led by Musial and the Dodgers, well the Dodgers of the early fifties were one of the great teams, period. As usual Musial's bat accounted for all or almost all of the Cardinal runs, a homer with men on and a run scoring double if I remember correctly and in the bottom of the ninth the Cards led 4 - 2. The Dodgers managed to get two men on with two out and then Gil Hodges hit a line drive home run into the left field stands and that was it, a classic come from behind win. I was there with my cousin Michael, a big burly guy who kept screaming in my ear and between that and the general uproar that didn't let up from the start of the game I developed a splitting headache. So that was my introduction to big league at the ballpark baseball, a classic ninth inning come from behind win and a headache

No comments: