Monday, January 21, 2013

You always remember your first time.....



Sixty Grit said...
Not bad, Ricpic, and it's nice to know that someone around here is more superannuated than I am.

First game I saw was a twinight double header at the old Memorial park in Baltimore in 1961 - the Y*nkees were in town, which means I got to see Maris, Mantle and Berra all out on the field. I remember very little about the games themselves, save the towering enormity of fly balls - damn, those things went up and took forever to come down, and every time either Maris or Mantle came to the plate it seemed the entire crowd leaned forward in expectation of a home run. I don't think either of them hit one, but I am going to assume that nonetheless the Y*nks won both games and the Orioles sucked, which is their default position.

I went back to that park a couple of more times, but was glad when Camden Yards was built - that was a much nicer neighborhood. Saw more games in the '80s and '90s, then moved to Durham, where I became a Durham Bulls fan.

Their old place, where Bull Durham was filmed was a fun park to go to - you could literally lean over the railing and talk to the players - they were no more than a couple of feet away. Well, you could talk to them if you spoke Spanish, that is. Haven't been to a game in years - I am over it by now. Got things to do. I am busier than Earl Weaver in a pit, just sayin'...

4 comments:

The Dude said...

I met Boog Powell, got his autograph. He is a funny guy.

Trooper York said...

I met him too.

At Camden Yards in fact.

Chip S. said...

I just read somewhere that the correct pronunciation of the double-o in "Boog" is like "booger", not "loogie".

Izzat so?

The Dude said...

Hope you had some of the barbeque he sells - that stuff is good.

Boog is short for Booger. I always heard it pronounced so it rhymed with loogie. Perhaps those were just more refined times and radio announcers didn't want to say booger on the air. Times sure have changed...