Saturday, February 28, 2009

Problems of a shopkeeper.


We just came back from the show last week and let me tell you it was grim. A lot of the vendors were crying the blues because so many stores went out of business or were not ordering new product. The hardest part of buying is anticipating what will sell in the next season. That is why almost everyone is buying in the moment. So in this last show which was supposed to be about the fall, everyone was just buying for spring and immediate. So the vendors are freaking out.

These cool beach bags are coming in next month. They are really big and are made of a real quality canvas. They also have a very strong strap that would stand up to a lot of weight. That is something I always look for when we are shopping. The wife looks for the fashion side of things, and I look for the practical applications. Good straps, lots of room, durability and things like that. When we find something that fits both of our criteria, then we know we have a winner.

11 comments:

Curtiss said...

"The wife looks for the fashion side of things, and I look for the practical applications. Good straps, lots of room, durability and things like that. When we find something that fits both of our criteria, then we know we have a winner."

Heh. Very well said.

But in my own experience, my wife and I take just the opposite positions.

Trooper York said...

Well if I can explain it to her she is always reasonable. But I have to realise that she knows fashion so if she picks something that is ridiculous and impractical, it will probably sell like hotcakes.

Ralph L said...

Are those bags washable? I can see that white canvas getting gray pretty quick.

Trooper York said...

Yes they are washable. And they really hold a lot of stuff. I think they are going to be really popular with new moms. They stuff a lot of stuff in it and still look stylish.

blake said...

The Flower approves of both your jewelry and bag selections.

Trooper York said...

The Flower has very good taste. She is going to grow up to be a girly-girl which is what my wife is and why the stuff she picks is so popular.

mariner said...

"Good straps, lots of room, durability and things like that."

I also like good straps, lots of room and durability -- oh, different product.

Penny said...

Troop and LeeLee? I could not be more of a supporter of ANYTHING that the two of you choose to try.

Bless small business owners everywhere who bust their butts every day for what all too often is pennies on the dollar. And THAT if they are exceptionally good at what they do.

Darcy said...

These are nice, Trooper. Please let me know when they come in, and especially if you don't get the purple beach bag in.

I have a canvas bag similar to these that I've washed probably a handful of times. I've had it for a while, but it's just now looking maybe a bit too worn.

Trooper York said...

This is the bag we were talking about Darcy in purple. I think it would be a perfect tennis bag because it would be big enought to hold all your stuff.

Darcy said...

Yay! I think I want two, then!