Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tales from Amy's Garden




Fiver: There's something very queer about the warren this evening
Hazel: Is it dangerous?
Fiver: It's not exactly danger, it's... oh, I don't know. Something oppressive... like thunder.
Bigwig: I know what it is. It is the lady in garden. I think she has taken a lover.
Hazel: How do you know that? Are there strange noises coming from out of the cottage? Besides that little machine she is always using that she keeps in her night table.
Fiver: I have noticed it too. She seems to be hanging around with this one fellow. I saw him the other day. But my eyes are very blurry and I don’t know what he looks like.
Bigwig: It seems everyone is very curious. It is the talk of the garden. The moles and the badger are fighting about it. It is causing a big uproar.
Hazel: Well why is it anyone’s business but hers? I mean I hope she can be happy. It is much better that way then when she is cursing and hurling wine bottles into the garden.
Bigwig: I don’t know. I think she likes the interest. She likes to be on stage. That’s why she always leaves her windows open and the shades up. She wants everyone to look in. Except there is one problem.
Hazel: What’s that?
Bigwig: Well there is this one Spanish Fly that keeps buzzing and making noise and banging up against the screen. He wants to get in and is very persistent.
Fiver: Well they should let him in. From what I saw of her new friend I think he might need some Spanish Fly.
Hazel: I don’t know about that. Thank God we are rabbits. We never need Spanish Fly. Oh look, there he goes again.
(Watership Down, 1972)

16 comments:

Ralph L said...

Dang it, Trooper! I just ate.

Meade said...

Spanish Fly... haw! Love that Lem.

chickelit said...

A big juicy fly splattered the bus windshield that first trip. It didn't rain that summer, and nobody bothered to wipe it off. Everybody new noticed it first thing and giggled. We kept rolling though. Got to get there.

Penny said...

More likely, TAILS, than tales.

Oh I know...hard to believe.

RLB_IV said...

I have not eaten. The pizza picks look better...

Penny said...

You haven't eaten, RLB?

Before we know it, you will be a bunny in a lettuce patch.

Amy's garden will be a distant, bad memory.

Anonymous said...

LMAO!

Ron said...

Why did the Basque put the bomb in the road?

To watch the Spanish Fly!

RLB_IV said...

Thank God, I ordered out

Penny said...

Chicken, I knew Fly when he lived in Canada. I knew him quite well, in fact.

Back then, he was on the wall.

Last I heard, he learned some Spanglish.

They say that made him crazy.

Eh, ole!

dannyboy said...

I wouldn't bang her with Titut's cod.

Penny said...

Nor would Titus.

He is picky.

Peter V. Bella said...

Amy is one ugleeeeeeeee skank.

TitusJustShotaLoad said...

You hos would toss Amy's garden salad in a minute.

Curtiss said...

She was a pretty girl once.

We're all on the path that we chose. The path to Amy's garden in littered with needles and crack pipes, apparently.

RLB_IV said...

With take out, I got garden salad.
No Hazel, no Fiver.... Ever had marinara with hot peppers and cilantro? Only in SoCal... I will say that it was good.