Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hey's whats the matter with the knish you goy's?




Not much of a fan club for the knish which is very funny because it is one of my favorite snacks.

For you hopeless goy's out there, a knish is dough wrapped around a tasty filling sort of a Jewish calzone. The filling is usually potato and the square one's are a staple on the hot dog carts in New York City. It is usually filled with a garlicky mashed potato and is baked or deep fried. Man that is good eating. The deli counter usually has the simple square knishes for sale in bulk and you can get them at Costco and stores like that. I love them. The only problem is I will heat them up and keep eating them until they are all gone or I explode. That's why I don't buy more than six at a time or I will get sick every time.

Now a lot of deli's have spinach, or gound beef, or kasha, or some other filling. But it is the classic potato knish for me. Some of your afficianando's mock the simple square knish but hot off the cart split with some mustard is some good eating. It's like the knuckleheads who swear by Starbucks coffee but turn their yuppie scum noses up at the coffee from the coffee cart. Simple is best in my book.

But then I am simple mined.
So if you haven't had a knish, check it out the next time you are in a deli. Get a hot dog and a knish and an orange soda. Then go Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

10 comments:

blake said...

Well, hey, some of us don't vote multiple times. So knishes might be a close second, you never know.

You want knishes to win? 'cause I know a guy...

Trooper York said...

But Cedarford said that the Jews control the elections. So how can the knish be so far behind?

Curtiss said...

I can't recall ever having a knish, but it sounds yummy.

It's not something usually found in the Deli's in my part of the country. A similar snack here in sunny Florida is Papas Rellenas (stuffed potato balls). They are simply mashed potato balls formed around a stuffing of spicy meat and then deep fried. A very tasty Spanish snack.

Another popular snack is empanadas. Fried meat pies. Also yummy.

Anyway, I voted for ice cream, because I never eat hot dogs anymore. And good pizza is hard to find.

The best pizza I've had was from some Mom and Pop pizza joint in Garden City, L.I. where my daughter went to undergrad. It was nothing fancy, but very tasty. Thin crust, good sauce, lots of cheese and good quality meat. But the secret was apparently something else that can't be described.

Ron said...

I love knishes! I will photo and blog!

ricpic said...

The spinach knish is a well balanced meal all in itself. Well, with a hot dog it is!

Darcy said...

I'm really feeling a strong pull toward the knish.

(And you know a gal too, Blake! ;-)

blake said...

Oho. Darcy tips her hand...

Trooper York said...

I just went to the deli and got four knishes. Talking about them just made want to eat them.

Darcy said...

Meanwhile...would have been nice to have a plate of knishes to snack on while Trooper's away...

*chomps on celery*

Ruth Anne Adams said...

You must remember this: a knish is still a knish.

A goy is just a goy.

The fundamental things annoy.

As Troop plays coy...