Sunday, May 17, 2009

They are sitting in our seats again.


Well it happened again. You might remember how I was talking about how when you go to church you usually sit in the same spot each week. And how you can get discombobulated if someone who never came to your church before is sitting where you usually sit. I mean you really shouldn't get mad because you want people to come to church. But it kind of throws you off. It makes things awkward if you pay attention to what is going on around you.


Someone was sitting in our pew and the wife went to sit in the pew right in front of that. I had to stop her. You see you have to walk through the pew to go to Communion in the center aisle of the church. Now in the next row these two little old Italian ladies sit on the side closest to the center aisle. Only one of them goes to communion. The other one stays in the row. And she barely moves as you are trying to get by her to get to the middle aisle. You are squeezing by her and she just barely moves back and you have your butt in her face and it is a big production. Plus the line is held up while you squeeze through. So I grabbed the wife's arm and we moved up three or four rows to about the third row from the front. Which kind of freaked her out. Being right under Father Cashman's nose so to speak. Me I was fine. You see I have a clear conscience.


Anyway our granddaughter called today and she is coming to stay with us for a month. She told my wife that while she is here she wants to make her first Holy Communion. She always goes to Mass with us when she is in Brooklyn and loves the old school style Mass. She told us she wants to receive her first Communion here instead of Florida where she lives. She doesn't care about the party or the big fuss that so many people make when they are cafeteria Catholics. She would be happy to do it at a sparsely attended week day Mass without all of the fuss. She just wants to get her Communion. She knows that is what is really important.


I am really proud of her.


9 comments:

Ruth Anne Adams said...

Wait. You have grandchildren? No effin way.

Trooper York said...

Yeah she is ten.

I said I was old.

TitusIwasworkinginacoffeeshop said...

You have a grandkid?

Your profile says you are 51?

I didn't even know you had any kids?

Trooper York said...

What can I say. I am an old bastard. 51 is old man when the daughter was born when you were in your teens and her daughter was born when she was in her teens.

Catholics start early you know.

Darcy said...

This is so sweet, Trooper!

I'm proud too! Well, you know...this is sort of like family here. ;-)

birdie bob said...

I just complimented you on another blog about your perspective re: the boy who wants to receive First Communion in a dress. You obviously inherited your good sense from your granddaughter! :-)

Trooper York said...

Thanks birdie bob.

Penny said...

You should be proud of her, Troop. Congratulations to the both of you!

So what does she call you?

blake said...

Geeze, guys. My parents had grandkids at that age.

Lee Lee's younger, though, isn't she? (She looks a lot younger. Er, sorry, Troop.)