Saturday, November 21, 2009

Don't sweat it, she might go up to be a English Professor. Hee.


We had a very busy morning and I go out of the store to get myself a cup of coffee and the wife cappuccino. I go across the street to the bakery where I usually go and there is like twenty hipster dofus shitheads buying one cannoli and a cup of coffee. So I turn right to go to the Fancy Pants cafe on the next block.

So I have to walk past Carroll Park and as I do I see this family turn the corner and walk alongside me. I say hello because I recognize them from church. The husband always has to chase his hyperactive little daughter who is about five as she would run up the middle aisle during mass. He is one of several fathers who do this. Now in the old days the priest would freak out when kids would cry or act out in church. But Father Cashmen said "Hey let them run up to the alter, they are just curious, there is no reason for them to be afraid or punished. They just want to get closer to the baby Jesus." So we have all these kids who run up the aisle trailed by their dads who shepard them back to the back of the church where all the strollers are lined up like all the abandoned B-17's at end of "The Best Years of Our Lives." And you know this might be the best years of that kids life when she could go to church with Mom and Dad and her grandparents and her friends and neighbors.

Anyway the wife is pushing one of these mega strollers with their two year old in and the five year old is riding the back like Sarah Palin in the Iditarod. She is holding on for dear life and singing at the top of her lungs. And what is she singing so enthusiastically? Twinkle, twinkle little star? Along came a spider? Well no.

She was screaming out "I kissed a girl and I liked it."

Now her Mom and Dad and I all had to laugh. She didn't know what the song was about because she was a true innocent. But I think if she decided to kiss a girl and like it her parents wouldn't freak out and lose it. She might just be curious. Or it might be who she really is. We never know what the future might hold. But I am sure that she will know that she is loved. And that's what counts after all.

It was just pretty funny.

11 comments:

Michael Haz said...

What is a hipster doofus?

I keep reading comments about the hipster doofuse this and the hipster doofuses that, but I don't think Ive seen one. They seem to live on interesting neighborhoods.

If I wanted to join the hipster doofus team what would I need to do/wear/live?

ricpic said...

I think it's an unmitigated disaster and a tragedy for the parents if their daughter grows up to be a lesbian or their son grows up to be a homosexual.

But that's just me. Proudly out of step.

Trooper York said...

Well ricpic you are entitled to your opinion. I just had a lesbian couple come into the store who are among the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. And the gay brother of one of customers came in to say hello and he is a hell of a good guy. That's not to say that their life might not be a lot harder for them than a straight persons. That is most likely true.

I prefer to follow one of hero's Dick Cheney. Live and let live. They have enough going on without me hating on them.

Trooper York said...

If you want to be a hipster dofus just move to Williamsburg and act like Zachery Paul Sire.

Just kidding Zach.

But it's true. Hee.

Trooper York said...

A hipster dofus is someone who has all the politically correct attitudes of the moment. He is in fashion with his Che T-Shirt and his Obama button and grungy jeans and Convers sneakers.

A direct decendant of the beatnick to the hippie to the grunge guy to the hipster dofus.

Trooper York said...

Basicly a hipster dofus is the exact opposite of you and me, Michael. You know the regular Joe working class guy.

ricpic said...

I tried to be a hipster doofus in my twenties - the lost years - but I couldn't hack it. Not naturally criminal. That's the dividing line.

Jason (the commenter) said...

ricpic : I think it's an unmitigated disaster and a tragedy for the parents if their daughter grows up to be a lesbian or their son grows up to be a homosexual.

Unmitigated? I'm not that bad.

Jason (the commenter) said...

My neighbor is a hipster, but he's at the age where he's about to snap and go all Republican. I think he should just start listening to Rush Limbaugh and get it all over and done with.

ricpic said...

I make an exception in your case, Jason. I really like you, man. Well, as much as one disembodied voice can like another disembodied voice on this ethereal medium of communication.

Michael Haz said...

If it's just post-grunge band nonsense, ah fuggeddaboutit.

Things are okay the way they are.