Monday, April 16, 2012

Hey don't get me wrong.....



I didn't mean to complain that business is slow even though it is about 90 degrees out today and nobody is going to show up to shop on Monday when it is so freaking hot out. I really have no cause to complain because when the show comes out I know we are going to do really well and turn it around. If only one in a thousand people buy something online it will leave us sitting pretty with all the sales we can handle.

We are still working hard on the show and will be doing so right up until it airs. We have to do about four more days of "talking head" interviews with onother scheduled for this Wensday. This sucks because we have to close the store and we won't have any sales at all which is really tough in the short term. We just have to put our heads down and grind it out day by day which is all you can do.

TLC called and asked us for bios for publicity so I had to write something up for them. It is an interesting excercise when you have to write up your bio. I would love to read some of yours. Anyhoo this is what I sent:


Jim Dolan was born and raised in Carroll Gardens Brooklyn and has never lived more than a mile from where he was born.  Educated in Catholic schools until college where he attended Pace University in downtown Manhattan, Jim worked for thirty five years as an accountant specializing in small businesses until he started to work in women's clothing. Wait that came out wrong. Until he started working with his wife selling woman's clothing when they opened Lee Lee's Valise on May 5, 2007. He currently serves as the financial  backbone  of Lee Lee's while  handling the bulk of the on-line sales and still selling clothes when Lisa is out at a shoe store.  He also will entertain the husbands and boyfriends of the  shoppers so they do not want to rush home. Instead  they will  get to hang out in "Jim's " corner to enjoy an espresso and some pastry and check out the game while their significant others spend  quality time spending. Basically he does what Lisa says to do since she is the boss of Lee Lee's Valise and he is happy to support her in whatever she decides.

24 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Succint, humorous and well written. Hemingwayish.

ricpic said...

Never in his wildest dreams could Jim have imagined that in the sixth decade of his life all of his disposable income would end up in the pockets of those two preyers on the shoe besotted, Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik, courtesy his wife Imelda, er...Lisa.

Anonymous said...

One can never have too many shoes.

ndspinelli said...

I have 4 pairs of footwear[including my slippers]. My bride has @ least 50 pair. That's one of the many reasons men still rule the world and own damn much everything in it.

john said...

Why didn't you list your best friends?

Trooper York said...

Well they sent me what they did back and it was done by some kid who grew up texting. You think my grammar and punctation and spelling sucks. This would make Sixty Grit shit a hemorrhage.

The Dude said...

Fortunately for all involved, Sixty doesn't give a hemorrhagic shit about such things these days.

Ur ritin seamz ok 2 me.

AllenS said...

It rain/snowed here today, could have sold some galoshes.

The Dude said...

I noticed it was 84 here here today. Waited until evening to mow the lawn. Too darned hot...

Darcy said...

Excellent biography. Sounds just like you.

I'd have a hard time writing mine. I hate the "Tell me about yourself?" question. I'm terrible at the answer.

Darcy's bio:

Umm. Uhh. Talk amongst yourselves!

Darcy said...

Hi Allen and Sixty! It was beautiful here for a while today. Breezy, sunny and 60s. I love the sound and smell of the breeze on a day like today.

The Dude said...

I hear that, Darce, 60s are a fond memory, so last week. In fact, we had frost last week. Weather, what are you going to do, eh? If it's not one thing, it's another.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Well the Dumbplumber and I are both hung over today and really sunburned. It was a beautiful 65 degrees yesterday so we decided to sit on the deck in our birthday suits, drink scotch, watch the birds and listen to music. (we don't have neighbors and the cat doesn't care as long as she gets her treats).

Ouch! Sunburned!! Too much spring too soon. You would think people our age would have learned something useful from our misspent youth.

Too much information?

AllenS said...

Hi, Darcy, hope everything is going good for you. I had to go to Google to try and find Carroll Gardens. It wasn't on my map. I had a friend that I was in Viet Nam with who lived in the 2000 block of 57th St. When I went to look him up, he was in the joint. He was a wise guy.

Michael Haz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

DBQ, rub some ointment on the dumb plumber, it'll hurt so good.

chickelit said...

Just don't wrench his pipe.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

LOL

Aloe Gel.

TerriW said...

We had tornados last night, then woke up to snow. What the hell.

TerriW said...

I'm still getting a funny feeling when I see you referred to as something other than "Trooper."

Like my 8yo daughter told my 5yo son the other day when he asked why He's called Jesus Christ: "Christ is his last name."

AllenS said...

"H" is his middle initial.

blake said...

Some time in the '90s, I became completely unable to do one of those bios without going completely off the rails.

e.g.

Blake is a former lemure recently promoted to demiurge in charge of catering for the third circle of hell. In between tormenting the gluttonous and fashioning ironic punishments, he enjoys macrame and long walks by the Styx.

I think, because, really, who cares?

The Dude said...

Blake loves dogs, and is particularly fond of his rescue dog, Cerberus.

blake said...

Exactly, Sixty.

You start riffing and it's easily more interesting than--well, it reminds me of that scene in Beetlejuice.

I attended Juilliard. I'm a graduate of the Harvard Business School. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT!! NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY!! NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified!!