Saturday, April 28, 2012

RIP Moose!



ndspinelli said

...RIP: Moose Skowron. The crew cut, square jawed, Skowron was one of my favorite Yanks from my youth. He could dig low throws out @ 1st base and hit in the clutch. Moose wasn't a great player, but he was what my old man called, "a ballplayer." That was a supreme compliment afforded to players who played the game hard. Not many left sad to say. I saw Moose award a trophy to a winning horse @ Arlington Park last year. Moose died in Arlington Park, Il. yesterday

I couldn't have said it better. My old man took me to see my first game in Yankee Stadium in 1961. I went many times since then and saw Moose hit a couple of home runs before he left the team. He later played for the Dodgers, White Sox, Senators and Angels but he was always a "True Yankee." He loved to come to the Old Timers games and was a fixture there in 1970's where I ran into him a couple of times at the bar. He was a great man who lived a great life.

Rest in Peace Moose.

6 comments:

The Dude said...

If he played the Orioles in '61 then I saw him play. Mainly remember Yogi, Mickey and Roger.

As an 11 year old I figured big league games would always be that good. They weren't.

Trooper York said...

Well they are still pretty good. But they are never as good as when you are a little kid.

ndspinelli said...

I'm reading Driving Mr. Yogi, I'm liking it.

john said...

My first major league game was the Twins and Yankees in Bloomingotn, 1961. I'm pretty sure Moose hit a homerun that day.

ndspinelli said...

john, I have kicked myself for years. I wanted to go to Metropolitan Stadium before they tore it down. I was living in KC @ the time but never got there. The Twins had great teams in the 60's, saw them play in NY growing up in the 60's. I made sure I got to Tiger Stadium the last year it was used by the Tigers.

john said...

Spinelli,

Met Stadium was built in the '50s for the minor league team, then expanded when the Twins came. Cal Griffith brought a boatload of Cuban refugess with him - Zoilo Versailles, Camillo Pasqual, Pedro Ramos, Julio Bequair. He damn near killed them all in a late Minnesota freeze.