Friday, August 30, 2013

It pays to be nice!

There has been a great diaspora after the various Italian salumerias went out of business. All of the Mexican guys who worked there had to scramble to get jobs in the neighborhood. Anybody that is any good got one because they had their own customers and following. It is sort of like when a bartender switches bars.

So one of the cold cut guys went to Gourmet Fresh which is the fancy supermarket across the street from my house. That works out mainly because he gives me the best cuts of cold cuts. Nothing from the end of the piece. Another is working at a new sandwich joint a few blocks away. He came to the store with a bunch of menus. They have a shit load of sandwiches and wraps and salads and what not. If I call there he will hook me up with a premium sandwich.

But it is the guys from "Good Food" who sorta disappeared. Then yesterday we were walking out of the house and who is walking down the street but Miguel who made the prosciutto balls and potato croquets at "Good Food." We went up to him to talk and see how he was doing. I said "Miguel I need my prosciutto balls during the holidays what am I gonna do?" You see he is working as a cook at "Bagels by the Park." He goes "Oh I will make them for you Jimmy no problem." All my Mexicans friends call me Jimmy for some reason. It must mean stupid white buffoon in Mexican or something. Anyway I go "That's great. Hey can you make them at my house." "Sure Jimmy no problem. Just get me all the stuff and will make as many as you want."

So we got his number and when we get back I will set up to make a shit pot full of prosciutto balls and croquets. It pays to be nice to the people you deal with. I always remember them at Christmas and always say thank you when they help me out. If they go out of their way I throw them a fin for good luck. So they are always ready to help.

Now I am going to learn how to make them my own self.  Preparation for when I have my lunch cart in Maui that will be open for breakfast and lunch and closes at 3pm so I can make the beach.

The plan is working.

5 comments:

ndspinelli said...

Trooper, The Day of the Dead is a big Holiday for Mexicans. They celebrate it Nov 1&2, All Saints and All Souls days. November 1 is to remember children, November 2 for adults. So, most thankfully only celebrate Nov 2nd. A gift of food would be a nice gesture. Being so far from Mexico they may have lost the tradition. But, it's celebrated here in Wi. and everywhere there is a settlement of immigrants.

ricpic said...

"Nothing from the end of the piece."

Here's the thing, there will always be guys who get the end piece, guys like me. And no matter how many times revolutions are fought to make the world "fair" the same guys who did the necessary to position themselves for the center cut will be there, after the revolution, getting a BIGGER center cut and relegating the end piece guys to even smaller end pieces. Here's another thing: because the world is always being refreshed with legions of dumb young folk it will never run out of suckers for "fair."

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

It it pays to be nice!

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Italians and even some Mics in Brooklyn do All Souls Day

blake said...

I like the end piece.