Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Doc Holliday Must Die

Hickok sat as usual with his back to the wall. John Wesley Hardin was on his left. Doc was on his right. Ben Thompson sat across from him with a drover on one side and Mike Williams the deputy on the other.
“The game is five card stud gentleman with jacks better to open” said Ben Thompson as he shuffled the deck and started to deal out the cards from left to right. The Drover got to open the ball after the ante.
“Fold” he said not being the boldest at the table. Hardin took two cards and raised. Hickok checked as did Doc and everyone else so the hand went on.
“Never did get a chance to talk much to you Hardin. If you don’t mind me inquiring I was wondering what you are doing up Kansas way” said Hickok. “What is it to you Marshal” incited Thompson. He hoped he could get the kid gunslinger to drawn down on the Marshal before he shot up his partner Coe. Phil thought he could win easy but Ben was not so sure. “The kid has a right to wander. We all did when we were his age.”
“Not a problem Mr. Thompson. I rode up part of the way with trail herd. I had a little difficulty down El Paso way and thought I might see a little of the world. I just didn’t like looking at the back of a cow while I was doing it so I rode on up ahead to hurrah the town a little.” “Fair enough. There is a sight to see. In fact you should look up Big Nose Kate” said Thompson. “That there is a sight to see.” “Ha I reckon that’s right” said Williams. “She is a sight to see. A pert young filly with a nice set of titties.” “Amen brother” said Marshal Hickok. “That is a grand place to start your sight-seeing.” Doc took the hand with a pair of sixes.
“So why are you in Abilene John” asked Deputy Williams. Hickok often uses him as a social buffer. He was a hail fellow well met who could smooth over the rough edges of Wild Bill’s demeanor. Many’s the difficulty that was avoided by Mike Williams’s bonhomie. “I am going to open my dental practice. Mr. Thompson has seen fit to rent me an office and I will be pulling molars directly.” “I will have to look you up then” said John Wesley. “I have a tooth that has been paining me badly the last month. It is a sight painful when I drink anything hot or cold. I can’t even have any coffee in the morning.” “Stick to whiskey son. It is best in the morning. Gives you a good start to the day.” Thompson took the pot with three Queens.
“So you are a landlord now Ben. What about your partner? Is Coe a landlord too?” “Yes he is Marshal. We are partners after all.” “Well you best advise him then. He should be careful of high stepping because soon the only real estate he will be occupying will be six feet deep and six feet long. I won’t warn him again.” “This here is a friendly game Marshal. You will have to address Coe direct if you want satisfaction” said Thompson. “Let it go Bill” said Williams. “No need to press it. Let’s just set and enjoy the night.” Hickok took the hand with four of a kind. “Well it is right enjoyable after all. I think I will take your advice Mike.”

25 comments:

The Dude said...

I had to beat off two dogs today. Unlike Meade I used a stick.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Second time I have had to interact with them - my dog actually got his teeth on the neck of big male - I am so proud of that little guy I could just about bust. But I used my shillelagh to drive them away from us, then we made good our escape.

These malevolent owners will now have to deal with animal control.

Michael Haz said...

Sixty - Is your dog okay?

MamaM said...

Good job with the stick and the animal control report! A two pronged approach, with kudos for the smaller dog's courage and tenacity, and his owner's ability to get wield clout.

The Dude said...

I have looked over both of my dogs pretty closely - no apparent wounds.

I think Yogi weighs about 45 pounds, and while it is just a guess, I think the larger of the two Rhodies weighs about 75 pounds. Yogi is my hero.

My brother thinks I should see if doggie tasers are available. Zzzzttt - yip yip yip...

Chip S. said...

I'm catching up on all my web browsing and happened by TOP, which is currently featuring a post about turning off your pacemaker.

Among 8th graders, that's a sure sign that she likes you, Troop.

Just shows you what intellectual level law school operates at.

Trooper York said...

Ha. I didn't know that.

Goes to show ya.

Life is so much better if you don't go there.

Trooper York said...

The first two sentences of Sixty's post are the best first two sentences of any comment on this blog.

I salute you.

Chip S. said...

If we ever write a collective novel, it should open w/ those two sentences.

The Dude said...

They were for you, Troopski - enjoy them in good health.

Michael Haz said...

Sixty - Pepper spray. Don't leave home without it.

I read the pacemaker topic. She must have a depressingly empty life. I don't, you don't, no one here does. Let her wallow in it.

The Dude said...

I thought about that - that might work.

When I was a cyclist I was chased by dogs maybe 2,000 or 3,000 times. I found that my water bottle was the best defense - spray the dog with water right in the face, the dog stops chasing.

Only downside was sunstroke or dehydration, but first things first - survive the dog attack, then look for replacement water.

Lem's place needs to be fumigated. Fumigado, Lemmo!

Evi L. Bloggerlady said...

Rhodies are good dogs, but not all Rhodie owners are good.

blake said...

Life is so much better if you don't go there.

The Gospel According To Blake, 2009

MamaM said...

Last night I was all spooled up to post an illustration of the Big Shit Stirring Stick being called up by the tag-team over at the Crock of Racism thread where a fresh batch of bullshit seasoned with secret ingredients and sprinkled with levity was being brewed.

Good thing I waited. Today it bears an even stronger resemblance to Sixty Grit on his way to a business meeting.

The Dude said...

Rhodies are good dogs, especially if one is hunting lions.

This is the fourth time I have seen them loose in the 'hood. The owners need to be tuned up.

chickelit said...

Lem's place needs to be fumigated. Fumigado, Lemmo!

Mockery works against crockery.

MamaM said...

Yes, in some situations, life can be better if you "don't go there" as long as personal freedom isn't being limited by loose dogs roaming off leash where they don't belong.

When the intent is to destroy the life and spirit of another, the darkness is deep, and ignoring it or turning a blind eye to it doesn't make it go away or result in a so much better life.

The Dude said...

Woman just left - she is the owner of the Rhodies, was crying that the fence company was at fault, blah blah blah.

Look lady, save your tears for someone who gives a shit. If your dogs attack me, regardless of how they got out, I will defend myself and my dogs. I would not budge off that point, despite all the "Your dogs bark!" and "I paid good money for that fence" and "In Botswana those dogs could run all day" and all sorts of assorted bullshit.

My point was simple - if I get attacked by loose dogs while walking dogs in my neighborhood, I am going to call the authorities. Simple concept, beyotch.

Anyway, she seemed to calm down and get my point, after a half hour of weepy baloney.

The bad news is they are going to buy that house and become permanent neighbors. Lovely. I guess I have endured worse.

The Dude said...

Fuck, I need a drink. Where is Haz when you need a bartender?

Michael Haz said...

What'll ya have?

Trooper York said...

Dude. That is what chop meat with anti-free in it is made for.

Do it to them before they do it to you.

The Dude said...

Well, I bought a Sam Adams Winter Lager a while back, it's been a-settin' in the refrigerator waitin',
and now its time has arrived.

Beautiful sunset this winter evening. It was warm enough to melt most of the snow. That's a good thing.

One more thing about the Rhodies - I had estimated their weights at 65 and 75 pounds - bzzt - wrong. The small one is 75 pounds, the male is 110 pounds.

So my little 45 pound Lab mix waded into a fight with a dog more than twice his weight and held his own. Extra treats for him - best dog ever!

The Dude said...

Dog poisoning is bad karma. Plus, I really like dogs. Not like Meade, mind you, but I don't wish these dogs any harm.

I wish they had better owners, but they ended up with Harvard educated douches, so that's all I can say about that.

Michael Haz said...

Don't poison the dogs. Poison the owners. Not as much remorse that way.

Michael Haz said...

Trying to explain to my guests why it is normal to put crushed red peppers in home-made chicken soup. They aren't getting it.