Thursday, January 9, 2014

Doc Holliday Must Die.


Doc walked down the boardwalk and pushed open the batwing doors of the Bullshead saloon. Typical trail end saloon. Shabby elegance redolent of stale beer and manure. Several cowboys were at the bar drinking beer. The faro dealer sat at his box with a whisky drummer and a trail boss.
Of course there was a poker game in the large table in the middle of the floor.
Doc walked up to the bar and situated himself at the turn so his back was mostly towards the wall. Best to be careful. The bartender drifted over and cocked an eyebrow.
“Beer please” Doc said. No reason to start too fast. The night was young. “Question friend. The owner around?” “Thompson or Coe?” “Either would do.”
The bartender nodded over at a well dressed burly man sitting by himself at a corner table.  “That’s Thompson over there.” “Thank you kindly.”
Doc walked over to the table and waited respectfully until Ben Thompson looked up.
“Evening Mr. Thompson. My name is John Holliday. I wondered if I might ask you a question.”
“Sure. Light and set. You name seems familiar. Do I know you?”
“I don’t know if you do. I have a question. I heard at the hotel that you own this building and there is an office at the side of the building with a separate entrance.  I wonder if I might rent it. I am a dentist and I want to try to set up a practice.”
“Well the town could use a dentist that is the plain truth. We can work something out I suppose. Let me talk to Coe my partner and we will see. But I don’t see a problem.”
Suddenly the doors swung open and a young gunman stood in the door. You knew he was a gunman and not a cowboy because of the way his gun belt set with matching Colts. He smelled of death.
“Damn. Just what I need” said Thompson. “What do you mean?” “That’s John Wesley Hardin. I hope I don’t have to kill him tonight.”

6 comments:

windbag said...

I hope I don’t have to kill him tonight.

Any evening that includes this thought sucks. Just sayin'.

Trooper York said...

Hey the Evil Blogger Lady says that to herself every night. Just sayn'

ndspinelli said...

Trooper, When you get healthy, and you will, consider a driving trip to the southwest. I'll be heading that way on Monday. Years of flying over that great part of this country changed in 2008 when I made my first drive to San Diego. I've been to so many places where Doc, Hickock, etc. lived and where they died. It would be tax deductible as research for a book, right Mr. Bean Counter. You could fly out to Wi. and just come w/ me, then fly home. Just something to consider.

kalmia said...

Trooper, you are back to your prolific posting, especially your wonderful Charles Dickson-like serials. I'm so happy that you're feeling better.

What is it about these kinds of stories --the kind that you must love, too (since you write them)? Why are they so alluring? Right now (besides your stories, of course) I'm watching "Justified" and "Longmire" to satisfy my craving for these raw, human, very masculine stories. I loved "Firefly" for the same reason. Libertarianism and the Wild West is an unbeatable combo.

Maybe it's the black-and-white 50s TV shows I grew up on: Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers, Annie Oakley, Rin Tin Tin, Lassie Come Home, etc. And then (continuing into dog and horse territory) all the wonderful books I read as a child: everything Jack London ever wrote, all the "Silver Chief" books by Jack O'Brien, "Beautiful Joe" by Marshall Saunders, "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls (sob), all the "Sunnybank" stories by Albert Payson Terhune, "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell, the Marguerite Henry books (especially "Cinnabar, the One O'Clock Fox"), the "Bambi" books by Felix Salton (before Disney turned them into sentimental mush), to say nothing of my compulsive reading of every "Nancy Drew" I could get my hands on (before they made her politically correct, or whatever they've done to her). I'm so glad I grew up when I did, when I could read "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn" without censorship. So much has been ruined.

Anyway, it gave me a lifelong desire for gritty authenticity. And your serials give me that same feeling.

Thank you again for letting me into your world. You didn't know anything about me when I wrote last year and asked you to let me in. I could've been Inga for all you knew. But you generously let me in anyway. That's the kind of person you are.

Trooper York said...

No problemo pilgrim.

Pull up a chair and enjoy.

kalmia said...

That should be "Charles Dickens" of course. Not sure who Charles Dickson was. The son of Dick?