Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Whose that author?



He drank his way across the narrow sea.

The ship was small and his cabin smaller, and the captain would not allow him abovedecks. The rocking of the deck beneath his feet made his stomach heave, and the wretched food they served him tasted even worse when retched back up. Besides, why did he need salt beef, hard cheese, and bread crawling with worms when he had wine to nourish him? It was red and sour, very strong. He sometimes heaved the wine up too, but there was always more. "The world is full of wine," he muttered in the dankness of his cabin. His father had never had any use for drunkards, but what did that matter? His father was dead. He ought to know; he'd killed him. A bolt in the belly, my lord, and all for you. If only I was better with a crossbow, I would have put it through that cock you made me with, you bloody bastard.

16 comments:

Trooper York said...

The photo is a very obscure but witty clue if I do say so myself.

Dust Bunny Queen said...

Tyrion Lannister saud it. George R R Martin.

I read the books LONG before they became a television/movie deal. Great series.

I wanted to kick ole George in the ass to get on with his latest novel in the series. A Dance with Dragons. It was six effing YEARS between the last two books.

rcocean said...

Not Jane Austen?

MamaM said...

"The strong wine was making his head spin, though, and the cellar steps were very steep. "Where do whores go?" he asked the wash flapping on the line. Perhaps he should have asked the washerwoman. Not to imply that you're a whore, my dear, but perhaps you know where they go. Or better yet, he should have asked his father."

Michael Haz said...

E. E. Milne, Behind The Pooh: The Wretched Years.

Trooper York said...

I thought a Midget on a Throne was perfect. Just sayn'

MamaM said...

I needed that explained. I got stuck with the "Bringing Plush __tties to the people" with the babe standing in front of the missing letters. That one required look up.

The Dude said...

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas elected to Hall of Fame.

Is dude's first name "Appa"?

Trooper York said...

I would have voted for Lester.

He really knew how to handle a bat.

Trooper York said...

If the Crack Emcee were awake he would say that was racist.

The Dude said...

Lester was a democrat just like Theophilus Eugene Connor.

Crack likes democrats.

The Dude said...

But if I am writing crap like this then I must be working too hard.

Maybe a nap would put me back in fine fettle.

Trooper York said...

Everybody knows most Democrats are racists.

ricpic said...

Is the writer Malcolm Lowry of Under The Volcano fame? It was all about drink for him so I figured...

Trooper York said...

It was George RR Martin who wrote "Game of Thrones." The passage as has been cited is by Tyrion Lannister who is of course a little person.

Thus the photo.

I crack myself up sometimes.

MamaM said...

Just don't choke on your chortle!