Monday, October 17, 2011

Remembrance of things Pabst


So we are trying to find a place for the wife's birthday party in the beginning of November. It is a big one so we want it to be special. We have spent the last couple of weeks checking out spots to see what is what.

We really wanted to have it at Fraunces Tavern where we got married but the place has really changed immensely and we don't know if it will cut it. The guy running it is getting back to us with a proposed menu and prices but the food just doesn't work. You see we have a long standing argument about things like this. The wife is always worried about the décor and the ambiance and the look of the joint. I only worry about the food. If the food is great then people will forgive pretty much anything. "Hey I hated to go to that hole in the wall down Red Hook in the Waterfront but the food was fantastic so it was worth it." The drinking would be great at the Tavern but most of our friends don't drink anymore. At least not enough to make it a big factor. So we need to concentrate on the food side of the coin.

We went to check out the rebirth of Montes which is an old school Italian restaurant in the neighborhood that has the great advantage of having a parking lot. We went there to check it out on Friday with the girls from the store. And the wife hated it. Complained from the minute she walked in. I mean I agree that the place wouldn't work for the party. The décor sucked and the tables were too small and we wouldn't be able to take over the whole joint because I don't think we would have enough people. There is no back or party room so it was a no go.

Then on Saturday we went to check out this joint on Smith Street called Panne E Vine. It is a relatively new joint that took over from a bunch of other places that had been in the same spot. Now it had a back enclosed garden as a party room that could work. The décor was no great shakes but the food was unbelievable. They had a polenta cake covered in a wild mushroom ragu that was off the hook. A sample plate of brussceta with stuff like avocado and goat cheese as well as fresh mozzarella and prosciutto that was outstanding. A great filet mignon and an outstanding pork chop. So the food was great. I mean really great. So it looks like we have a place.

But that wasn't enough. We had to check out this tapa's joint which is a hipster heaven. It seems that our cousin loves it and we went to check it out in Williamsburg. Now you know how I feel about hipster's right. When we get there it turns out that it turns into a disco at night. I had to have my hand stamped and pay a cover charge. Sure the décor was cool enough but they didn't have any food to sample. And it was a special night. It was black gentlemen and the hipster girls that love them night. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It is just not my crowd if you know what I mean. I was out of place. We were only there five minutes and I got three Five -O's and two hello officers. So we left.

The girls decide we are going to meet our cousin's friends in this hip bar in Williamsburg called Whiskey. First off we get carded when we go in. The wife loved it. She had them take a photo of it for posterity. I just shook my head. The bouncer kept apologizing but said he had to have it on camera for insurance purposes. I said "Can't I just take my granddaughter out clubbing with out all this rigmarole?" He kept apologizing.

So we go down this long stairway to a bar area that is packed wall to wall with kids. There was nobody less the twenty years younger than me. Most of them were thirty years younger. Grungy looking hipster trustafarians wearing dirty knit caps bouncing up and down to James Brown and Madonna from the DJ booth. I was better off with the brothers. But they wanted to dance so I got a round from the bar and stood with them fending off the losers who wanted to hit on the girls. Once again I was very out of place. I looked like Donald Trump at a rave. On thing I noticed that almost all of these snot nosed punks were a lot shorter and scrawnier than me. So when I told them to beat it they scurried off like the hipster pusssies they were. We had a few drinks and they had a lot of fun dancing while I snapped my fingers and swayed and gave people the fish eye. Once again everyone thought I was a cop because I had a jacket on and was thirty years older than everyone in the joint. Unfortunately some of the girls in the party were light weights. They dropped their drinks shattering them on the floor. Then one of them danced herself off her feet and showed her ku-ka as she fell on the floor. That meant it was time to go.

You see it is a lot of fun to watch Snookie and Dena at the Jersey Shore on TV. Hanging out with them at the club. Not so much.

But at least we found a joint for the party.

20 comments:

ndspinelli said...

"Take her to the zoo..retards like the zoo."

"Hey..she ain't retarded, she's just shy."

On a serious note, why not get a nice hall..decorate it the way your bride likes, get a good caterer and have the food you like.

chickelit said...

So when I told them to beat it they scurried off like the hipster pusssies they were.

I'd wager you have swag.

chickelit said...

BTW, the dance move in the photo is called "Offensive Line"

Trooper York said...

That's a good idea nd but the thing is we are having two parties. This one is the intimate one with the close family and friends. I will be doing the big party in another venue for another reason. With a lot more customers and what not. Then we might go to a hall.

We just wanted a cool space. Well she wants a cool space. I wanted a space with great food.

Trooper York said...

I don't have much sway but I can make a pretty mean face and I am basiclly an immovable object if I get my feet set. So to speak.

Fred4Pres said...

I would hope you can find a kick ass caterer in Brooklyn. One that can do steaks even.

We did a catered party for my parents in Jersey with mussels, eggplant, ziti, meatballs, sausages, and tomato and cheese. Add some wine, beer and a limited bar and you are set.

But I am sure you can get a decent caterer who can do steaks to order, seafood, whatever.

Fred4Pres said...

You can't go home again.

Trooper York said...

I don't really want to do a caterer. I want to enjoy this new joint. A caterer is for the big party we are going to have after the first of the year.

Titus said...

I would of loved to see a video of you at those hipster bars.

The Dude said...

Officer Trooper York to you. Five oh indeed.

ricpic said...

You can't beat Peter Luger. That's where I'd go.

Peter V. Bella said...

It is always about the food.

ndspinelli said...

My fam was in the restaurant biz. My uncle ran it and his mantra was:

#1 Food

#2 Service

#3 Ambience, Price, Wine list, etc.

"#1 and 2 are nonnegotiable and in that order..reasonable people
can disagree after that."

Dom Spinelli

Fred4Pres said...

I never tried Peter Luger but always wanted to. How does it rate in your opinion compared to Sparks, Delmonicos, or Smith & Wollensky?

Fred4Pres said...

ndspinelli, that is true. Bad service or food is intollerable. A messed up dish happens, that is completely forgiveable if handled right. Bad food is when the food is just not good (not because the cook spaced and screwed an individual entree).

I remember going out with a relative who wanted her steak bloody and they brought it more medium rare. A faux pas, I think the server did not hear her. She complained and the restaurant redid her steak and comped her entree. The manager and the server then came and made sure she was happy. I thought that was going well and beyond the call of duty, but that ended up being a plus for that place for me. I also over tipped the server that night. An example of service trumping all else.

I do not like unreasonable demands from diners (fair is fair and having worked in restaurants I know what it is like to put up with that shit), but I do expect reasonable value and quality (depending on the place and cost). I expect service to be always courtesous (from a street vender up to a top notch restaurant).

Trooper York said...

The service in this place was great and the food was off the hook. The polenta cake with the ragu of wild mushrooms was a meal in itself. The pork chop was to die for. Dino our waiter was very cool and attentive and I tipped him extremely well. We are going over there tomorrow (Wed) for brunch to go over the details.

Trooper York said...

Ricpic, I can take you to five restaruants where the steak is better than Peter Lugers. It just has a name because of its reputation. The side dishes are horrible and they pride themselves on the lousy service. Fuck that.

Peter Lugers is the most overrated restaruant in NYC.

Fred4Pres said...

I can take you to five restaruants where the steak is better than Peter Lugers.

Are they a secret?

ndspinelli said...

Fred, Your comment is interesting. Uncle Dom taught us that taking a negative[bad meal, service, etc.] and acting quickly and graciously, turns it into a big positive. It often creates a loyal customer. The key is identifying the problem quickly. Sometimes he would spot the problem just by the reaction of the diner and be proactive even before a complaint was made.

Fred4Pres said...

Uncle Dom was smart.

I still want to hear Trooper's top picks for steaks in NYC.